Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hidden Disability at Work.

HatsEatYou September 2nd, 2023

I'm curious what other people decide about if and when to disclose a hidden disability. I have recently been though the ordeal of job hunting and I have autism and dyslexia. I struggled with when the right time to disclose my disabilities was. For the first few months I avoided it worried that it might be disadvantageous to me. But as the time went on I thought that it's a huge part of me, it will effect my ability to work in some ways but also that employers having the knowledge might demonstrate my potential. For instance I have a degree in English despite having dyslexia. I feel this demonstrated some amount of tenacity and that even in a field directly impacted by my disabilities I was successful. So I started including it in my CV. No one I was contacted by commented on it at all until I got the job I am now working at. Where I was explicitly told that they were most interested in interviewing me because of my disabilities. It's socked me honestly. I never expected my disabilities to be an advantage in getting work. I'm somewhat conflicted though. It is good I'm employed and my employer is very good about trying to support me in work. But I do feel somewhat infantalised. I don't think I would be treated the same way if I hadn't disclosed my disabilities. I'm not planing to look for work for a long time and will focus on trying to educate my boss so he understands he doesn't have to baby me at work. But I'm now super interested in others experience. Am I alone in being hired because I have a disability? Am I alone in being treated like I need my hand held for everything? I doubt it but I would be interested to here others stories if you would be willing to share.

Barltik2065 September 5th, 2023

@HatsEatYou

“Am I alone in being hired because I have a disability?”
In the United States, it is illegal to Discriminate on any Disability. You have the right to withhold disabilities from your employer as long as it doesn’t endanger the company or you (OSHA thing). Many positions (and companies) will give “extra points” for such things. As in example, a Disabled American Veteran will receive extra points when applying for a position over a ‘not disabled’ American Veteran.

Am I alone in being treated like I need my hand held for everything?
It is a double edged sword as you have recognized when it comes to disabilities, disclosure, and representing. You are not wrong in your feelings. Your feelings are valid and acknowledged. Just remember it is a perspective.
In Example, my brother is an amputee below the knee. He is forever stating how he hates it when people treat him differently because of his leg “I am missing a part of my leg. I am not cripple”. But then he also raises a stink when people don’t move out his way “Can’t these people see I am missing part of my leg”. Or parks in a handicap parking spot “You can tell that person isn’t handicapped”. So from my perspective towards my brother is you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If I were him, I am not sure if I honestly would be any different.

“I doubt it but I would be interested to here others stories
As you stated, you are not alone. I do not have personal stories on disabilities to share. Only a perspective.

You have brought up some interesting points to ponder with. Maybe you could write a post, exploring the pros and cons on this topic. It would also be interesting to see if you would learn anything different attempting to be non-biased in your evaluation. It is difficult to look through a lenses of another.

That being said, you are not alone. You are welcome to share without judgement.