Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can't find a job

diplomaticSail1449 October 10th, 2023

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, I hope it's ok.

I'm currently in my last year of university and since I'm finishing up I only have 2 classes per week, which means I've got a lot of free time. I'm in student accommodation which I hate so I'm looking for a job to BA able to afford a house or a room somewhere else. The thing is, I can't get a job... I've been looking for awhile, I apply for everything I find, and still nothing. Most places don't accept me because I don't have any experience but I'm not going to get any experience if no one takes me, also I've been applying only for jobs like cashier, waitress, stuff like that, where it does not specify it needs experience in the job description, but they still won't take me based on that. Today I had an interview with the one place that seemed to be considering giving me a job, it was a pizzaria, but I can't work there because of my nails.. I'm a professional classic guitar player so I need my nails a certain way, I really cannot change that. I understand why I can't work there it just sucks because it was the only place that seem possible for me.

To be honest I'm starting to feel kinda useless.. like I'm not good for any job. I know I'm probably being unreasonable, but I've never looked for a job before so I just don't know if this is normal.

Anyone has any tips?

toughTiger6481 October 10th, 2023

@diplomaticSail1449

I do not think you are being unreasonable....

i think the needs experience item can be used for any reason .... maybe they had reservations about how a question was answered but " no experience" is easier to say then we got a  vibe or some other reservation about hiring you. Some do not hire if they think in X amount of time you will be gone and they are back looking for example

Is the nails thing for a reason for them ?       while you have your reasons for nails that does come up in food handling sometimes. 

diplomaticSail1449 OP October 10th, 2023

They never really say why they won't hire me but I can see the look on their faces change when they ask specifically about work experience so I just kind of assume, also that is a real problem to all young people looking for jobs in my country.

The nails thing I obviously completely understand I just mentioned it because it made feel even worse, cause that just takes a whole lot of opportunities away and I can't do anything about it. I don't really know what to do