Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Spouse with DID (multiple personalities) - Any experience?

NumbPanda August 21st

My husband within the past two years with diagnosed with DID. Now while the diagnosis was an answer to the the questions and worries we have dealt with over the years, it was adjusting my standards and boundaries that made the alters more comfortable and so on that got waters muddy. They've seen me broken down, crying, not wanting to be touched, and my husband himself is aching so badly with "him" (alters) causing me so much pain and distress. One has gotten him into legal trouble multiple times over the past 4 years (10-12 yrs mentally) and one acts like a class clown frat boy sorta talking to SO many women over multiple apps and websites. This behavior in turn has resulted in hangouts (no biggie, trying to let them have some time)....which eventually resulted in adult activities with 4 different women.

I know it's not my husband himself doing this behavior and cheating and so on, but it's a *** of a hard time sometimes to separate it mentally. It's affected me where I hardly want said activities with him, which in turn is affecting my husband (physical touch love language)

Point of all this, any advice ?

Any others out there with spouses that have DID and such? Experiences?

Even if you don't have it or any experience with it, general advice would be helpful too. Thank you in advance ❤️

KristenHR September 2nd

@NumbPanda

This sounds like a very challenging and confusing situation for you.  I'm sure it's also hurtful and even perhaps angering at times.  I'm glad you posted.  

Does your husband have a therapist?  Have you ever met with the therapist together with your husband if he does?  Sometimes meeting a therapist with your spouse could allow the two of you to discuss how to best help support him and perhaps to even address some of the issues arising and how to help him because of the emotional parts that are creating problems.  That will depend on your husband's willingness however.

What support do you have in your life to have just general support and friendships?  Is there anyone who knows what you are going through?  With what you are dealing with, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be okay for you with everything you are dealing with.  You might consider looking into this community forum as well, Dissociation and Related Disorders