Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

update: Working theory of BP1 with rapid cycling now

Phoenix84 March 19th, 2017

Figured I'd wait a couple days to process the psychiatrist appt, and the changes already started...

Saw a psychiatrist finally on 16 March, a solid 8 months after finally getting my GP to listen, and 6 months after getting a repsonse to the 2nd request for a psychiatrist.

She had 2 students with her (no issues there, I seem to always get people with students), and had one of them do the majority of the interview portion of the appointment. After sending them out, and going over the charts and logs I handed her at the start (including a typed 3 page history, which was more or less covered by the interview portion), she got down to business.

Based on the history, stack of paperwork I had to fill out there, and the interview... her working theory is now BP1 with rapid cycling (no shock there). Stopped the antidepressant my GP has had me on since the end of November, and increased the antipsychotic. She has ANOTHER group of 6 students and a "Teaching Opportunity" on the 24th that I've been asked to be a part of, which gives her a 1 week followup on the changes as well.

The rest of Thursday was busy, and when I finally got home at midnight my brain didn't shut off until 0200 processing a lot of information... which threw Friday for a loop too.

Today is only day 3 of medication changes, also day 3 of a headache. Hopefully I don't have much of a withdrawal from stopping 15 weeks of antidepressant cold turkey, but we'll find out.

ladylazarus1971 March 20th, 2017

@Phoenix84 I hope you're still feeling at least okay today. I have my fingers crossed for you for the upcoming panel meeting and that your snri withdrawal is not hurting you.
I enjoyed out chat in 35+ last night.

Phoenix84 OP March 20th, 2017

@ladylazarus1971

Today was still headache, light headed, and nausea... but 2 med changes at the same time doesn't help when they both have those effects on the system... at least caffeine got most of the headache under control.

Bio-Chemically the SNRI should be plasma clearance on Sunday (noon, 77hrs technically), and system clearance tomorrow (Tuesday)... so IDEALLY it should all be improving in a couple days now. Which means things should be "stable" (bio-chemically) when I see her on Friday for her 'teaching opportunity'.

ladylazarus1971 March 21st, 2017

@Phoenix84 Keep us posted!

Phoenix84 OP March 25th, 2017

@ladylazarus1971

THAT made for one hell of a day...

Started the new secondary program at physio officially wednesday, so today was the first day of that routine. Not a bad way to start the day with 2hrs in the gym but definitely felt it later. Really looking forward to an 80min physio appt (and 3hrs total) on monday (not!).

Was more than early for the teaching opportunity, pretty much the expected outcome.... 2nd yr med student doing the interview, 5 more sitting and listening, asking questions.... psychiatrist sitting off to the side making her notes both on me and the students since this was her unoffical 1 week followup too.

After that was done, she talked to me in the hallway. Noted I'm still up a bit, and told me to book another appointment at her office in the next 2-3 weeks to "further adjust medication". That was booked 20min later for the 13th, in addition to the one on the 27th. Not surprised there.

The massage afterwards was needed. Physio's request to have her work on my rotator cuff went over about as smoothly as expected... that's now booked for an hour next week. Massage tells me to have physio work on loosening up and working chest and pecs if they expect her to make any progress next week.

Took 7 days for the headache to more or less go away, today was the first day without a headache. Just hoping the next change in 20 days goes better, since it's likely just an increase.

ladylazarus1971 March 25th, 2017

@Phoenix84 Glad for the update, even though it's a mixed bag. Sounds like you're on top of everything,

Phoenix84 OP March 25th, 2017

@ladylazarus1971

Mixed bag... punching bag... same thing right? ;)

The ability to be on top of things, to organize details out of chaos, is WHY I went as far and as quickly as I have in my careers.