Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

can you prevent an episode?

last2braincells May 12th, 2023

has anyone had any success in deferring a manic or depressive episode that they felt coming on?

personally, i tend to just brace myself for them when i observe symptoms indicating that one is starting, but would be interested in any tips or suggestions y’all have for potentially avoiding the episode all together.

~thanks for your time

Barltik2065 May 15th, 2023

@last2braincells

While I am me and deal more with anxiety ...

I find routine most comforting.
Stable sleep pattern (go to bed same time wake up same time).
Write down my do list, check off when done. Can be self rewarding. (kind of a nerd LOL)
Each day is assigned a duty IE: Thursday is Laundry. Sunday cut up veggies for snacks for the week.

Knowing what is expected of me and what will take place, controls triggers and gives me control.

sillieststardrop June 1st, 2023

It can help to have a trusted person who can look out for symptoms in advance and has a safety plan ready to go just in case, but that’s honestly not the case for everyone at every stage of life.

my best advice for managing episodes is honestly just to be as rigid as possible in your self care. I’ve been known to make a list of self care rules and follow that ish like a Bible. This looks different for everyone but for me it’s stuff like. “No caffeine, no alcohol, no drugs, eat at least this many times per day, keep journal updated, log moods, stay in touch with loved ones,” etc. you get it. Whatever helps you feel better, stick to that even if it doesn’t feel like it helps. The most important thing is to remember that it will pass, you are in control, and taking care of yourself is always the most important thing :3