Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Your favorite Bipolar characters?

blueTiger2286 September 5th, 2017

or any fiction you like or that helps you?

I recently discovered the Norwegian TV show Skam(go watch it,it's awesome) and in season 3 there is a bipolar character and it just made me so happy to see how classy the whole issue was treated in the show,and that he's in a happy healthy relationship(also,he's bisexual and dating a guy,so double happy,because characters in same-sex relationships usually get killed off)

So,yeah,I was wondering,do you know any other characters like this?Preferably happy stories

ladylazarus1971 September 5th, 2017

@blueTiger2286 All the Bipolar characters I have seen on film and on Television have unfortunately all been portrayed negatively. There were 2 short-lived tv shows in America a few years back that were on the air such a short time that I can't even remember the titles of the shows. They were at least portrayed as complicated, non-one-dimensional characters, which was better than straight up negative.
Although it is non-fiction, a terrific book about the positives as well as negatives of having BD is Madness by Marya Hornbacher. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking to understand what it feels like to have Bipolar.
Thanks for the great thread idea!

blueTiger2286 OP September 7th, 2017

@ladylazarus1971

Thanks for the rec! smileyIt seems like a painful read,but I'll keep it in mind

I found another character with a feel-good story,but also gay haha so I don't know if that's everyone's cup of tea

ladylazarus1971 September 7th, 2017

@blueTiger2286 It's a cup of tea for at least some of us, so please share!