Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Question: Am I more than just bipolar?

Kay9833 May 6th, 2022

Hello, today I have a question that I’m hoping I could get some advice on. I am diagnosed with Type 1 Bipolar Disorder. I realized I’ve been doing bad things to people since I was a kid without being aware that it was problematic or hurtful. It’s like I’ve been doing these things subconsciously, I give them no thought, I just act. I am a compulsive liar, I’ll lie about anything without thinking. I’ve abandoned people because I was bored with them. I’ve been emotionally and verbally abusive in relationships. I’ve said terrible things to people. I’ve hurt many people throughout my life. The thing that’s been bothering me the most is something that I became aware of a few days ago. To cope with certain situations, I will create false scenarios in my head, and believe that they are real. These scenarios usually relate to other people in my life. I choose what I want to believe, and I live it as if it’s reality. It goes farther than that though. I have false expectations of these people. I expect them to follow along with my scenarios, with what I want. When things with people don’t go the way I imagined, I blow up on them. Take it out on them. The way I choose to take situations is something I genuinely believe. I think it’s reality. And when I am shown that it’s not reality, I freak out, often getting upset with the people I’ve involved. I don’t want to control anyone. I don’t want to hurt anyone anymore. I am admitting these things as the first step. My question is, is this more than bipolar disorder? Does this sound like any other kind of disorder? I’m so confused, I can’t figure out what is the cause of all of these behaviors. I feel manipulative, abusive. I am extremely upset with myself. Thank you all.

Kay9833 OP May 6th, 2022

So I just spoke to my therapist and she says it’s borderline personality disorder. I have to get it diagnosed officially by my psychiatrist, but it makes so much sense. Just feels extremely bad.

renaylynn22 May 11th, 2022

Sounds more like borderline personality disorder than bipolar disorder to me. The show "crazy ex girlfriend" revolves around a woman diagnosed with BPD and helps explain a lot of what people suffering with BPD go through and why they make there decisions and stuff. Good show! I suggest watching it and maybe that will help you decide if that is what you have or not by how much you relate with her.