Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

MissTeeLove September 10th, 2022

I NEED HELP! Can someone PLEASE tell me what I should say or do when my bipolar husband starts in with accusing me of everything under the sun? Ex: stealing his tools and selling them, stealing his clothes and giving them to my “new boyfriend”, stealing towels and taking them to my new apartment, putting something in his food to make him sleep, putting something in the shampoo to make his hair fall out…etc. I have been going through this for a long time now and my defense mechanism is sarcasm. My depression comes out later but I don’t want to cry like a baby in front of him. I don’t know what to say! I have a hard time sometimes believing he actually BELIEVES this stuff. I need help.

RarelyCharlie September 10th, 2022

@MissTeeLove I am not an expert, but it sounds like your husband has become very confused about what's real. If he is known to have bipolar disorder, then it seems likely he's having a manic episode, but if this has been going on for a long time, then perhaps the diagnosis is wrong.

I don't know any way short of medication to make the episode stop. If he becomes a clear risk to himself or to other people, then of course emergency services will be able to administer medication. Your doctor, or whoever diagnosed bipolar disorder, will be able to discuss what his medication needs are, and how to help him.

Perhaps it might also help you to chat with a listener here about how to cope with your own feelings. Choose any listener who has a Chat Now button.

Charlie