Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My experience as an autistic teenager

BalceJusbi April 11th

Hi, I am new here. I am a 15 years old boy and I suffer from autism. I was diagnosed about a year ago, but always had suspicions about it while growing up. I was also diagnosed with ADHD and Generalized anxiety disorder, which makes my life way more difficult than it should be. I don’t know if it’s an experience a lot of autistic people experience, but I often feel like this reality doesn’t belong to me. What I mean is that I often feel like I wasn’t made for this society, nothing about social norms makes any sense for me and I really struggle with being in public. Am I the only one who feels like everything is too complicated? For me, neurotypical people are a mystery I am unable to comprehend. Still, I manage to mask pretty well, with the consequence of me being unsure of who I really am, deep down. Sometimes I’d say I hate being autistic, but it’s often only because society treats it as a disability and a mental disorder, which makes me feel rejected. I wish society was more inclusive and comprehensive of other realities, like neurodivergent people. I also wish my difference wasn’t treated so much like a serious disability. Yes, I struggle with certain things, but it does not mean I am stupid or that I should be treated like a child. People should be more informed about realities of people with autism.

River April 26th

@BalceJusbi

Hello, Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Can see why you don't feel belonged. Definitely agree on you and wish that society would be more informed about it as there's so many misconception, its crazy. I whole heartedly believe that posts like this definitely help people understand you a little better, so thank you for it. 

Hope you have a great day ahead. Please do keep us updated if you want to, would love to hear more from you.

Rubymaria2753 April 30th

I'm a teen too and I was only diagnosed this year with autism, ocd and an anxiety disorder (premium package deal ***), getting the diagnosis 17 years too late definitely had a huge impact on me (im guessing you experience similar with tour late diagnosis) The best way I can describe it is that i have always felt as if everyone else has read the book on what to say, how to act, what to wear, how to make friends, how to fit in, etc and im the only person who didnt read it. All the social norms everyone else was born with as basic instincts are like puzzles I'm supposed to solve, I constantly get it wrong and it's like I'm in someone else's universe. Like I shouldn't be here and I've been switched with the person who is supposed to be 🤣

I do find it sorta fascinating that my brain seems to work entirely differently to most people but it is also a burden sometimes. I have so many odd traits and needs that I feel I could never be fully open about to other people without being judged, which makes me struggle to have relationships since I mask all the time instead. I feel as if life shouldn't be this difficult/tiring and that I'm missing something and no one seems to be able to tell me what it is.

I completely relate to you and understand, So if nothing else you're not alone 😊

(Personally I vote all autistic people move to our own planet and re-invent these so called society norms but until that happens know other ASD people feel the same isolation)