Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Age Dysphoria?

RobinGoodfella September 2nd

Sounds like a joke, doesn't it? "I feel like an 18-year-old trapped in a 60-year-old body." "No, you aren't. You're just an old pervert."

Honestly, however, it feels like it's a major part of my autistic experience. Some parts of me are still 2 years old. Many parts of me are trapped in adolescence, still trying to figure out the "adult world". And a part of me was 60 even when I was actually 5. If I could "transition" to actually be perceived as the teen/young adult that I feel like, I think I could be more comfortable -- youngsters are supposed to be as confused, and inexperienced, and clumsy as I have been all my life. 

But it still feels like a bad joke. It's probably impossible. And, in many areas, it would probably get me labeled as a predator even if my thoughts, motives, and actions are pure. So what can I do in order to unmask and be who I feel like I am *without* making the folks around me uncomfortable. No joke, just confusion.

RainbowRosie September 2nd

@RobinGoodfella

Hi Robin,

I guess a good start would be to find the balance between being true to yourself and showing respect to others. You talk about your thoughts, actions and motives being pure, which will put you in good stead. Being mindful of comfort levels and boundaries will help you with your journey. 

I hope this helps, if only a little. 

Take care, Rosie