Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to get my partner to understand my Autism?

drmthwsn July 13th

My partner has been struggling to show understanding or comprehension of what my autism looks like. I myself find it very difficult to explain sometimes, so even I can be at a loss for words.

How can I get my partner to understand certain things about myself when it's too hard to use words?

Can relate to this although I don't have a diagnosis. It's easy to feel disheartened, I'm sorry you feel like this.

I struggle to put things into words sometimes and I've tried things like writing things down, making something as a talking point or drawing a picture. Not sure these are particularly conventional methods but it's something I've done to try help the conversation, which might be of some help to you to.

Communication is an important part of any relationship/friendship. I think as humans everyone really just wants to be understood, so do keep trying to work together even if it may not seem very easy.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nickel

GmaFox July 28th

@drmthwsn

I’m going to offer a totally ASD response and ask for more details 😊. Because it could be that you feel it is your job to help them solve their struggle—in which case, I would say it isn’t. It’s good they are trying, even if it’s hard.

or it could be that they are denying your reality, and making you justify yourself. Then it’s a different story. You shouldn’t have to do that. It’s hard enough just living with it.