Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Autism diagnosis and past misdiagnosis

politeComputer8612 August 9th

I recently was diagnosed with high functioning autism with many autistic traits. The last few years I was misdiagnosed with a mood disorder and also I have comorbidity with other disorders right now, which make the clinical picture super clear now. People around me don’t accept my autism diagnosis since in professional settings I seem too sociable, which is not the case since when I am home I feel drained because I push myself too hard. Also, they can’t believe that a person that “appears” social can be autistic and except for that they are telling me that it is not possible to have many different diagnosis at once, and they don’t get my challenging journey. So I feel alone with the realization of autism.

toughTiger6481 August 18th

@politeComputer8612

People who question or disagree with a diagnosis often just do not understand the conditions or conditions ... so many misdiagnosis with mental health and behavioral things people can be skeptical.

It is hard to understand when someone seems high functioning in work / school etc and then seem unable to give much to their home / friend life.... it is very frustrating ..... i believe my spouse has some form of such and frankly I  should not be mad.... but to get the leftovers and a person who gave all of themselves to work and i get scraps has ruined our relationship. 

RainbowRosie August 18th

@politeComputer8612

This sounds incredibly frustrating for you!  Unfortunately some people do like to think they know best, whilst for you, the struggle is real. I do hope you don’t take their negativity too personal and hopefully you can receive good support from here.