Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

fearful of others

silvrbeatl November 29th, 2016

I have a lot of social anxiety because I feel like everyone I meet treats me like I'm an idiot or a moron. I feel inferior to others and fear other people's judgment because I'm not sucessful or smart like they are. I don't want to go therapy because I fear that what I say there will not remain confidential. I know this is irrational, but I cannot seem to get over my fear. Does anyone have any advice for me?

ChromeLotus November 29th, 2016

Just try to keep in mind, very few ppl have there act 100% together. Also most ppl hav some insecurities. They have there faults also (no one is perfect)

Lucilleball November 29th, 2016

Stellar topic !

I fear others will not understand.

I fear if others know too much they will discredit my strength.

silvrbeatl OP November 30th, 2016

@Lucilleball

I'm scared that people know personal things about me that I haven't shared with them. Like there are cameras everywhere watching everything I do. It makes me feel like I have no privacy and that everyone knows every mistake that I've made. Makes me afraid of people. Not really sure what to do about it.

simplyJan November 30th, 2016

I, too, have been and still am afraid of people ever since I was a child. My family called it "being shy" and tried to make me overcome it by dragging me to parties and social activities. It made for awkward moments, like going left when everybody else was going right at a group dance presentation. Needless to say, all the laughing and pitiful looks from the audience didn't help.

I found my most peaceful times in the company of books, inside those stories I could imagine myself as one of the characters...a different person. After high school I took a year off before going to college. My mom volunteered me to a summer church project teaching kids in poor communities catechism and basic lessons. Having to face many challenges (my social anxiety being always the first in line), I realized that by imagining myself as one of the characters from the stories I've read I can cope with the anxiety. It is both a way to protect myself and a way to let my strengths and talents be useful and shine.

During college I had a professor, well-known for being a terror, who challenged his students non-stop. It was from him I learned to "speak"...to voice out my thoughts, even if everyone will not agree with them. From him and the countless characters (fiction and non-fiction) from books, tv shows, films, etc., I realized that the only opinion that mattered is my own. The only voice I should be listening to is the one from inside me...the one who knows who I truly am, what I can do and what I determine to become.

It's not an easy path nor does it guarantee victory in life's battles, but knowing you can stand up whenever you fall and that mistakes are not shame, but rather opportunities for growth...one can and will always have the choice - to give up or be someone better, one step at a time.

Whenever you feel afraid of others, remember - "They are also human. They can also feel joy and sadness, excitement and anxiousness, bravery and fear, ignorance and love."

CaringTeresa December 1st, 2016

@silvrbeatl I, too feel social anxiety alot. It is very difficult day to day to deal with all the negetive thoughts we have about what others are thinking about us. What do you do for coping skills?

gongoozlersoup December 1st, 2016

@silvrbeatl
I want to say that you're being so brave to bring this up and share. It's definitely normal to be fearful of sharing these things with a professional, for example a therapist. Part of changing irrational thinking and beliefs is to challenge them. Get some knowledge and research about what professionals are ethically and legally bound to do. Take the risk and see someone to get help. Maybe bringing a safe friend with you might make it easier or checking in with a trusted support in your life. I encourage you to keep making steps towards your self-care and mental health.

Ladybug11 December 21st, 2016

@silvrbeatl I know what that feels like! I have been through the same... It is really tough to overcome at first, but over time you get better at it. It is a step by step process. Firstly I had to learn to trust that not every stranger on the road is 'evil', I forced myself to look up instead of down on the floor while I walked and smiled at people when they passed and looked at me. Every smile I got in return meant the world to me :) and bit by bit i got some confidence that if they smiled back, they cant be that bad. I started having chats with the person behind the starbucks counter, with the waiter at the restaurant, etc. and over time I lost the fear of interacting with people. It is a mindset that one starts to develop :) If you wanted to talk to me privately about this dont be afraid to send me a message :) Take Care!