Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What are some tips to be more assertive, despite feeling anxious around people?

bubbleChestnut3363 September 7th, 2017

My anxiety really gets in the way of my life, and at times makes me seem less confident to others around me. Sometimes others will use this to their own advantage. My symptoms tend to look like this:

-blushing

-quiet and trembling voice

-knots in stomach, and tense muscles all over

-overly apologetic

-parrot back what the other person said

-stuttering

How can I counter act all of these, especially at work and school?

TheHoneyDoll September 13th, 2017

@bubbleChestnut3363

Hi! I suffer from a stutter myself and use to say sorry nonstop and blush so I've been there in your shoes before and it isn't easy to get over :) But what I found helpful is to wear what I feel confident in and keep a straight posture! I also hated eye contact so I use to look at eyebrows. A lot of talking is just listening so as long as you nod and respond, you're good to go! They likely aren't judging you even if it feels that way sometimes. Just remember they're a person too and could even have anxiety as well. If it helps, imagine yourself as being a bit more "superior" like a leader!

Best of luck to you!

Truth22 October 9th, 2017

@bubbleChestnut3363

Some of my anxiety was caused by my low self-esteem and I started talking to myself as if I was a child. "You're ok.", "You're beautiful.", "Even if you do look silly, so what?", "I can protect you." Etc, etc...Maybe you could consider finding some phrases that you would like to hear and then say them to yourself. It'll feel kind of silly at first, but it does help alot. What helps even more is if you say them while placing your hand over the center of your chest. It's thought that doing this our brain fires off the same signals it would if we were being hugged by someone, which helps give us confidence and uplifts our mood. :)