Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Social Anxiety Caused by Appearance

MissMouse2023 June 4th, 2023

I recently got this really cute dress that my mother bought for me and thought was adorable. She often buys a lot of dresses for me because she says they compliment my figure which is tall and thin. I often feel better and more confident when I dress up, so I decided to wear it to work a couple of days ago because it was a hot day and it’s a summer dress. It is a bit short on me (it’s halfway between the length of a mini skirt and a knee-length skirt, so it’s almost halfway up my thigh) and the fabric is a bit thin (not transparent, just thin), however most people at my work often dress very casual, and I often see people in tight spandex with tattoos and piercings, so what could be wrong with my outfit?

I received one compliment from a coworker, however my supervisor looked at me funny. Then a couple of my male coworkers who were around my age group looked embarrassed and somewhat disgusted, noticeably looking away from me as they passed by in the hallway. One of them even stared at me with this hostile look, as if I was some crazy person seeking attention.

This made me very self-conscious, because even though I never had much confidence in my appearance, I was not aware that people thought I was ugly, especially when I’ve seen people with more “revealing” clothes.

Should I ask my supervisor if that dress is ok to wear to work? If so, then should I still not wear it (if other people think I’m not pretty enough to dress that way)? Does it at least help that I’m slender (if that’s all I have going for me)? Or maybe I shouldn’t let a couple of people shame me with disgusted looks just for wearing a cute dress?

humanbeing02 June 4th, 2023

@MissMouse2023 I am sorry some people made you feel that way. You have all the right to wear whatever you want. Like you said it wasn't revealing so that is not cool of them looking at you like that