Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Being a racial minority with social anxiety

EmotionallyRational December 22nd, 2020

I am Indian and I grew up in Africa, I moved to the us when I was 16 due to family circumstances. I struggle to fit in here in America, I can get along with people fine but no one in this country likes what I like. I can never have a conversation about Cricket or Football(soccer) in particular English Football since I am a Manchester United fan plus no one in this country seems to like the music I like which is Electronic Dance Music. Sure it's potrayed as popular amongst "young hip millenials" however whenever the topic of music comes about in a conversation, the people involved in said conversations tend to be rock music, or metal or rap music fans who now everything there is to know about those genres. But does anyone in America know who Deadmau5 is? nope, or Armin Van Buuren? nope or Martin Garrix? Nope.

Manchester United is one of the biggest Football(soccer) teams in the world and unless you are an immigrant from a soccer playing nation no one in this country knows who they are but they certainly know who the NY Giants are or the Green Bay Packers.

So for these reasons I have social anxiety and struggle to find a common ground with people or find anything in common.

LonerWolf1 December 24th, 2020

@EmotionallyRational

I cannot say much except that I really feel for you. I am from South Africa, but a white guy. Yet I am the prime example of someone who does not fit in anywhere and social anxiety is in the order of the day for me. And I know how different America can be. But if there is any solace in this, I think being different is something to be proud of of, and more so being able to face it, even if it is with difficulty.

Stay strong! Believe in you!

placidAvocado2692 February 5th, 2021

@EmotionallyRational. Yes, I believe you when you say you feel as if you don’t fit in.. Those feelings are terrible..I’m sorry you are having it so hard. 🤗❤️

placidAvocado2692 February 5th, 2021

@EmotionallyRational. Yes, I believe you when you say you feel as if you don’t fit in.. Those feelings are terrible..I’m sorry you are having it so hard. 🤗❤️