Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxious with your own family?

EcentriciExMachina August 8th, 2019

Any anxious around their own relatives? I have a superficial relationship with my dad and my older brothers. My dad moved out when I was in middle school, so did my older brother was getting hus first place at the time. I talk to my sisters but Im not fully myself around them either. I barely speak with my cousins, most of whom are over a decade older. I am then left out when my siblings are talking about their mutual friends, at certain family functions I feel uncomfortable being around them, thier spouses, kids, friends. I worry they might pity me.

Somiaa August 8th, 2019

@EcentriciExMachina Yup I also have social anxiety that extends to my relationships with my relatives. I want to be closer with them and build a solid relationship but I freeze up alot, mind goes blank/disassociates, or I feel apathetic and disconnected. As I've gotten older I allow myself to be distant from ppl that give me anxiety but I don't like that and want to be closer to people.

quickwittedNest5808 August 11th, 2019

@EcentriciExMachina Same here bro/sis. I can relate with what you said. I begged my father to let me move to another city away from them and one of the reasons why was because I didnt want to be sureounded by my own family because I was anxious around them but I didnt tell them that ofcourse. Just know that you are definitely not alone and I am sure that there are a lot of people out there who is struggling with the same problem that we both have. We are strong! If you need someone to talk to more about this, I am here to listen. I hope anxiety won't get the best of you.