Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxiety Attacks

princesspikeru June 16th, 2015

For years, I've been dealing with anxiety attacks. Lately, they've been more intense and constant. I need better ways to get through them...

Athena86 August 27th, 2015

Hey @Tai. I understand that. It's like they're self-perpetuating the longer they happen sometimes. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I know one technique that worked for me(though everyone is comforted by different things), is known as the "grounding" technique.

Attacks are usually brought on by fear over the past or future(so says my therapist), and so bringing yourself "back" into the present helps ease or shorten(or get rid of) the attack. To do this, do a senses inventory to bring yourself back to NOW.

1.What can you hear?

2.What can you see?

3. What can you smell?

4. What can you taste?

5. What are you touching?

Even when I felt dizzy and out of control, by making myself answer those questions, my brain would work back to a calmer state w/ simple one-word answers.

I know it can be exhausting, upsetting, and just overall frustrating, but you just have to find what works for you. No matter what though, they are not forever. You can find peace again.

Tai98 September 2nd, 2015

I'm definitely going to try that next time. Thank you for the advice :) <3

Mutelock September 1st, 2015

One of the things that works for me during a panic attack is opening a window and sticking my head outside. (Going outside can work too, but if you don't live alone this can be harder to explain, especially during a heavy anxiety attack.)

It works best when it's cold outside, especially when it's cold enough to give me goosebumps. It puts me back in the moment. Sometimes I can stand there for minutes on end, just feeling my body cool down. It's the combination of fresh and cold air that makes it easier to deepen by breathing, but more importantly the cold is a grounding factor. Sometimes I begin to shiver and my skin feels freezing, but it distracts from worries and it actually seems to kick-start some mild survival instinct where my body focuses on keeping warm and it puts worries and fears in perspective, usually subduing them.

During an especially bad panic, I usually force myself to look outside and focus on the objects I can see. Like others here have already said, it helps to focus on your senses. What can you hear? What can you see? What can you smell?

Doing these two things at once have really helped me through a lot of panic attacks over the years. I hope it might help some of you too!

imaginativeDrum September 20th, 2015

I love this thread. I promise I keep it active for reasons other than that beautifully interesting conversation above.