Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxiety Attacks

princesspikeru June 16th, 2015

For years, I've been dealing with anxiety attacks. Lately, they've been more intense and constant. I need better ways to get through them...

shyGrapes3858 June 16th, 2015

Try to laugh, I know it's hard, but sometimes it really helps remembering funny things, laugh is the enemy of fear :)

Roadie June 16th, 2015

Hi @princesspikeru

The techniques that I use for managing panic attacks all relate to slowing down my brain. Things like pulling all of the books out of a book case and putting them back in one by one in order of Author's name. Going into a section of garden and pulling out each weed one by one. Ordering the food cans in my cupboard in order of colour.

I don't know if they'll work for you but they work for me. Other resources for panic attacks can be found in the following forum thread:

Panic Attack Links

whitecrosses August 18th, 2015

Unless you are like me and extremely Manic,.. it is probably best not to laugh outside of natural reaction..lol. Because then it becomes a cop out reaction to every stressful situation and that can become awkward and inappropriate. And that makes social anxieties worsen as well, Just a thought.

affectionateDime175 June 16th, 2015

I've found that breathing excercisesare really helpful for calming me down when I'm panicking. The one I find the most helpful is breathing in for three counts, holding it for four counts, and breathing out for three counts. If I can focusing on slowing my breathing and just counting the numbers it can sometimes break the cycle of panic that my brain is going through.

Other than that I find yoga and mediation to be really helpful, and there are a lot of resources for those things online.

ooohhhheyyyyyyyyyyyy June 16th, 2015

What kinds of things have you tried? What HASN'T worked?

Have you found anything that works for you sometimes but not others?

nightFlower81 June 19th, 2015

Hi @princesspikeru.

Thank you for your post. Managing panic attacks are different for each person. The examples of help that people posted are all great, and worth a try. I like to use mindful meditation to help relax, but find that it is not that easy to focus when I am having a full blown panic attack. When it get's really bad for me I tend to use distraction. Similar to what @Roadie has posted, but I do jigsaw puzzles. That allows my brain to focus on one task, and that would be finding the pieces that fit. Once my brain has slowed a bit, I use postive self affirmations. For example: "I am going to be ok, It was just a panic attack". Eventually it gets easier. You will find that different things work better for you. Once you find something stick with it. Remember to breathe, and that everything will be okay.

yellowGrapes8131 July 5th, 2015

I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was in the 8th grade, I have developed anxiety and social anxiety as well within the last 3 years. Some days are worse that others and some days are better. However I have found a way to cope and control my anxiety and panic attacks at least to a certain extent. And although I am not 100 percent cured It has helped me out tremendously and I am starting to get ahold of myself.

I hope this helps somebody out there out because it is something I have wished I could change for nearly 10 years.

Take a look at anxiousreview.com

It is an excellent read and was very helpful to me :)

imaginativeDrum August 15th, 2015

I have seals for my behavior. In silent and by self then, back at home, can let loose and do whatever to appease the churning feelings of internal replay afterwards. When I was younger, I tore things - and then tidied up after, lol. Unfortunately I was also less of an extrovert and more quiet then...

I have it a tad easier being a naturally, blankly emotional person. A girl I talked to on here had her therapist recommend looking at things from a bird's eye point of view. I remember my own counselor asking if I saw things "outside of myself" (like a ghost?). Maybe that could be something to try too.

There is just one thing. Like a book and a re-read cliche, too many things tried and seen others had work for them - They didn't work for me. And probably because I knew it was supposed to and had my expectations up too high. Or something. One reason or another, they didn't work, my mind and body rejected the ideal and each time it got worse because my "options" were supposedly running out. While everybody else was becoming 'normal' or was, I was tripping flat on my face and everybody could see it that much clearer. They still can. Those moments which actually feel like a trip now - Sudden, unstoppable. Instead of 24/7.

The seal method is unique to me, at least to my knowledge and like learning, learning to cope is a process for the individual. Your ways won't necessary overlap with another. Just because the world isn't your oyster, doesn't mean you can't make it yours still. Just because what everybody else can do and you can't, doesn't mean you never will. Keep trying, you'll get there somewhat if not entirely. Don't give up. It won't be okay always and never completely but it can be better. Or maybe you can be 'cured' that completely. Can't give up that possibility either! Share when something works that well, kay. Lol.

Some need just a reminder, others need a technique or some other force in place. Yet some others, need whatever it is causing the anxiety to be reevaluated, given release or go away. All prayers for you.

Roadie August 15th, 2015

@imaginativeDrum

How does your seal method work?

imaginativeDrum August 16th, 2015

Depends. A necklace, bracelet,person, place, personality or face - Any one of these can be a reminder to "bottle or forget until the after". Basically as long as any or all are on, there is forbiddance to do this, act like this, feel this, etc.

In other words, my method is to smother, to forget and ignore via visual reminder. Well, more like a charm. I don't really see the face I wear or the necklace on my neck until it swings in front or starts to bleed cold onto my back. It's just a mindset - Not sure how to to describe it. Not so much hypnosis as self discipline. Rules to not break.

And I guess because I haven't thought about what happens after the vow(?) has been broken, is why it works so well? X) Again, this is a method which is probably bullocks to anybody else. Or more damn obvious that doesn't work. But I thought to share because I live this way and it works for me. Ideas spring from other ideas? I'm sorry if I confused.

Roadie August 19th, 2015

@imaginativeDrum

I can understand that in fact. I had a system that I used to use for automatic thoughts which was clicking my fingers. If one popped into my head then I clicked my fingers which was an audible cue to shut it off. It ironically worked so I can understand what you're saying there :)

imaginativeDrum August 19th, 2015

Lol, yep. Glad it makes sense to someone lol. Thought was just spewing paragraphs of abstract to the ether again X)

Well, one thing I'm not sure about with your example - Do you not feel overwhelmed with such a prominent reminder in plain sight? What - Oh wait no. I have a minor version of what you described too! Lol.

So, reading reading reading something or rather on the nets, in books, on tv, etc. Then a really childish thought hits the head. Or one with a seriously one-sided view. You know those ones. "Wow I am shallow as [censored]." With two fingers. push the forehead way far back until it snaps back forward. Okay, that sounds less lethal than it is, lol. Or vice versa. Words getting jumbled while procrastinating, serve me right.

That's probably also how quotes and mantras work: "It's okay, tomorrow is a newer day." Can only think of pure pressure if imagining a seal dangling in my face 24/7: "Don't do this, don't do this, don't do this, don't DO this. Don't do THIS." Whoa. X)

Celaeno August 21st, 2015

@imaginativeDrum, I was reading your post and suddenly I realized I was doing your 'seal method' for years instinctively. I just never thought about it as a coping mechanism .-.

When I was younger I'd use a ring, a bracelet or a necklace. And now I'm saying a certain word which is a cue for me to just stop and move on. It's working just the way you described it.

It's a behavioral thing, like with Pavlov's dogs ^^ I just trained myself to bottle my emotions up for this particular moment.

imaginativeDrum August 23rd, 2015

Ahahaha, yay for random realisations on the internets? Better yet, a community like this one where you find an unsuspecting twin of the soul. At some level anyway. I expect like liking things, having tendencies or lifestyles is also a part of personality. And nothing ever being coincidental as we are only painfully simple, organ constructs. Okay, enough philosophy, had too much homework.

Maybe everybody has such methods actually. Each of them giving their method a different name. Because words are just words given meaning by those who utlize-- Uh. *stops*

Since I'm actually not sure what my "method" really is or what it entails, as someone who subconsciously used such for so long- What uhm, have you got to say about it? Oh dear, that's worded so harsh. Anyhow, I was presumptuous enough to think it was just my own special way but now that there is someone else out there, the question rears one curious head.

What is it? And how does it work for you? And now, after you've realised? By the way, very nice to meet you, lol.

Celaeno August 24th, 2015

@imaginativeDrum, It's nice to meet you, too! Twin of the soul - I like that phrase ^^ Finding out that we are not alone with experiencing certain things is very comforting for me and I'm glad we have this community for such treasure hunting.

I very recently realized I have such coping technique, so I don't posses any deep answers ^^; I feel a bit silly sharing my method with you, because I think it's goofy, but what the heck! I should just state that I don't experience panic attacks, only anxiety ones.

So when I'm starting to recognize any anxious symptoms (mine include heavy knot in a stomach, shallow breathing, inability to move, staring into space, irritation, racing thoughts), I will say to myself "Spock". Yep, as that character from Star Trek ^^; You see, I love original Star Trek and at some point in my life I've started to tell myself to "spock out" - to stop feeling, and thinking for a short time, and just behave automatically. It's a form of shutting down which helps me to break out from the anxiety cycle because if I'm not thinking, and over-analayzing, and feeling overwhelmed by everything, it's harder to bring me down. I use it as a command for my own brain, and as I stated earlier, I just trained myself to react it. It's not 100% bulletproof, but it helped me many times already, and I consider it a useful coping method.

As you said yourself, I'm also not very certain of how it works. I don't think it can be effective for everyone, in my view it more depends on a person and their own experience with anxiety. What about you, @imaginativeDrum, if you don't mind me asking? What do you think of this?

imaginativeDrum August 25th, 2015

Treasure is certainly, in the words of a new friend, one way to put it. X)

I think you thinking yourself is silly is silly. How can you possibly think something you desperately have used for so long without knowing it to cope, be silly? It's like saying the difference of guy who cruises through life after picking up worries, accepting them and moving on and the guy who doesn't. Neither are lesser humans but it would be a lie to deny the first is not greater then the second. If only, if only, lol.

It's probably only goofy in that it came into existence because of, or revolves around someone supposedly imaginary. People are only also ideas, if they exist in thought, they probably exist somewhere out there or can. That said, your focus is no less silly than those who spend millions (over time) for celebrities and well-liked persons and things alike. Why does one look down on people, albeit fictional influences when they don't (quite) look down on hobbies? Nobody would say anything if you "spocked out" due to calculating maths for example. Or fell asleep doing so either. :D

Yesyesyes to the stop and shutting down and commanding. Hahaha. Oh lordie, what similarity! Though again, I have an easier and harder time explaining because being blank has naturally and unwittingly happened as long as I can remember. Sometimes not so wittingly but yunno :pp Anxiety leaks itself into every part of life and there's nothing to do but surrender, let it take us under and asunder or.. At least in our case, bring out the hamfisted cuffs. Wish more people understood the earlier. Or empathized at a deeper level. Or, dunno, just knew? Wishes and fishes.

I too believe that it takes a certain sort of personality, as it takes to respond in certain ways, to respond or react to anxiety. By extension, the methods to cope with it. That's about it. "I concur.", lol. Huh, wonder what that says about us. Self-sadism? XD

I've kinda bleed myself into the page/forums at this point so no, I don't mind you asking at all. Hope you don't mind my keeping you around for the chitchat.

Celaeno August 25th, 2015

@imaginativeDrum, I personally don't mind you kept around ^^ I'm glad. I like that we have a space here to stay longer a bit in each other's company, to support and brainstorm ideas.

Thank you for your understanding. I really like reading your responses, I can see you're the funny one ^^ I still feel a bit silly about it, but not ashamed. At the beginning I was a bit withdrawn, because I never told anyone about it. But I guess everything what works for us, and doesn't include harming living beings, should be a reason to be proud of ourselves. We are trying to cope and such fights are honorable.

I think that in order to our method (can we patent it? ^^) to work you need to believe that you can break the cycle + "the command" must be link with something specific and material. I don't think if I could manage it with something abstract, like emotion(?). And, the most important, you must never break a rule to follow it. It works until you are willing to work, if that makes sense.

I hope you have a lovely day/evening/dreams. Hugs!

imaginativeDrum August 31st, 2015

Hello again, took a bit to come back to reply lol. Rumination time maybe? For a lovely soul. All that pressure to be amusing, lol. Don't think I'm quite as funny as simply silly. Yunno, the non-derogatory terming of the word. Though used by the self, it's hard to say.

Yes, be proud of it! Is the extent of the reply I've got here. Lol. I do also love that you share you were withdrawn about it. Now you've found out otherwise, eh? Isn't it great when life just.. works? And well. <3

But oh, I never thought to analyse it..! Whoa. Okay. *stares intently* Since we're the first we know who have these methods, let's go ahead and claim is as out own. Not that it wasn't already XD

Well, that's one thing. I did not think about the metaphysical constraints but I did know that there was certain condition for a seal to actually properly apply - for the life of me though, what? If I overlap my experiences with yours, say that it has to be something well-loved but in all the spock-related mannerisms etc, why was it not an actual mannerism picked up? Why a reminder to self about the model?

It would be interesting if we could manage it with emotion. After all, thought is something you can take anywhere with you, any time. Why else do breathing exercises work so well? For most people. Have you heard of those people with bad memory who use an inner picture or room to remember things? Something like that would be so choice.

TTYL and to you (and others), the colors of good feelings to the days too! :)

Celaeno August 31st, 2015

@imaginativeDrum, you bring an interesting perspective - to try to become "the role model"... I don't know, maybe? But I don't think that the Spock character is - the core of his personality is that his half Vulcan and half human, so in reality emotions constantly washes over him. He just pretends to be all brain, no heart.

But then again, maybe I'm trying to act as his Vulcan side, who knows? ^^; You were right - when you try to analyze this, it quickly becomes very tricky. Most of the time it's just pure instinct for me.

Yes, I've heard! I was always impressed with this mind trick about memory room. I often use mnemonics, but I always felt to intimidated to try such complicated system.

Lots of love!

imaginativeDrum September 20th, 2015

Oh yay, found back this thread! Was busy with another that took up a few brain cells. And what would be a tiresome (or not so :p) duty to life of course. Hello there again! How have you been? :D

I dunno about the role model wording. Sorry if it sounded like I just pigeoholed your seal ways. Maybe I did since mine wasn't based on anything. Or at least anything I am aware of. Like you said, it's probably pure instinct. Which is something that's been either inherited or employed for so long, its base reason for existence has been forgotten. The other week's day, I came home entirely out of it and ended up losing my temper over the smallest things. I had adequate sleep and had done my share of work, life etc take or give disappointing second thoughts or realisations. I was in a bad mood but could cheer to talk to people, did cheer. So why did I resort to being insufferable instead? After stripping off the raincoat, I discovered an unlikely cause- I had lost one of my seals. The keywords here being it had been an unknown discovery.

Is this just making excuses or over analysing? Is it a scapegoat or had seals become so embedded into my being that like being anxious in social situations, happenings continued because they were? I thought about this thread again then, to ask if you or others had anything similar yadda yadda. Deadlines (which I should actually be thinking about now, lols..) shot it out of my mind, one time after another. I'm glad this thread still exists! Hullo, hullo.

Instinct is a good place to start in explanation at any rate. If we were to analyse your seal, based on a character- If not a role or model you are taking on, do you think then, you do have thoughts to "act like his Vulcan, unfeeling side"? Though maybe the first question could or should be- Do you want or mind analysing it? The method.

The memory room- Forgetting the reason of which it was brought up on but that method is impossible for me. Maybe it's got to do with being a non-visual learner but remembering something based on, how does one term this- an inner wanderspace simply does not work for me. Maybe I even have my learning style down wrong but I figured seeing the written (or typed) word "chair" in my mind before envisioning the actual thing placed me firmly in the other category of learners.

Mnemonics (Excuse spel). Is that the acronymic rhythm way of remembering things? Haha, I'll agree on it being complicated. I cannot remember things by rhyme, by name, by sight or even by anything but (intense) process of fail and error, by breaking down reasoning, by manual application and or by pure memory. The last one was particularly frustrating all through earlier school years. Hallelujah internet! Lol.

Iamhuey August 18th, 2015

The thing that always helps me is going out for a drive. There are times i will just go on the highway and drive, all windows down, music blasting. You can sing, scream, cry, shout. I feel like my driving away from all my troubles when i do this.

Roadie August 21st, 2015

I notice that I suffer from anxiety attacks on occasions and it's often while I'm driving that it builds. A technique that I use is reading number plates. I'm a number-smith so I take the digits from number plates that I see and I multiply them together to get an answer. A few minutes of that and my mind is back under control.

The point to all of this is that you can come up with any number of techniques for getting through an attack with a bit of creativity. Those things that are around you are assets that you can use. Don't forget that.

On a secondary note, focusing on your anxiety can make your anxiety worse but that doesn't mean that you should ignore your triggers and ignore the signs of an attack. Keep an eye on yourself and know your signs to look after yourself.

Sharon20 August 21st, 2015

There is something called rescue remedie it's a really good natural spray that helps a lot with anxiety and panic it helps people everyday I'm going to give it a try

Roadie August 24th, 2015

I have that here for my girls. Whether it truly works or is psychosomatic, I'm not sure. But it helps in some way :)

catizzlee August 24th, 2015

hi! when i am in a bad case of anxiety i think to myself that soon it will be over and if it doesn t help i ll usually close my eyes and think of something nice and good, something that can calm me down like the ocean, the sky or even a color that i like...

it has literally helped me in the most stressfull times so i hope it will help you xx

forever15 August 25th, 2015

Had an anxiety attack tonight in the shower...

Littlemissbumblebee1D August 25th, 2015

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you are alright now. I know how hard it is to have anxiety.

doggybaby77 August 25th, 2015

I used to get those in the shower and driving and its scary ! , it sounds silly but I leave the door open to the bathroom and leave half the shower curtain open so I know who is in the house n stuff and shower fast. If im having a really bad day, On a good day I try to take deep breaths and say no one is there and its just my head messing with me

Khary19 August 25th, 2015

Just a guess but if you had an anxiety attack in the shower, I would assume you have some major self-image body issues you're struggling with or that's the only place you can be alone and break down without people finding/hearing you. Is everything okay?

forever15 August 25th, 2015

i have been having some issues with my body... i feel anorexic at times and other times fat and gross but mostly i will start crying in the shower and it just goes downhill from there

Khary19 August 25th, 2015

Anxiety attacks are awful. What usually helps me is a combination of things. If you can escape to a bathroom and lock the door, you know you have a small safe place. First thing is first. Stop everything, close your eyes, and really focus on slowing your breath. That's always the hardest step for me but it helps break the cycle.

Step 2 is take a good long look in the mirror. I don't mean for self-critique. I mean really look into your eyes and see what's there. Is the root emotion anger, fear, heartache, paranoia? If eyes are the window to the soul then look deep. My anxiety attacks made me angry and I acknowledged that anger in myself and found if it was justified or not.

Step 3: Let yourself feel. I found my anxiety attacks are a downward spiral with a toxic seed feeding all the anxiety. If you can break the spiral, you can face the root and identity the issue and just deal with it later at the right time and place.

Step 4: Put a wet washcloth on the back of your neck, take some deep breaths, and take a look in the mirror again. Look at yourself nd know you just survived. Yeah, you may have to repeat this a few times but the harder you look (honestly) into your own eyes, the more you see and can acknowledge. Think of anxiety attacks as toddlers throwing a temper tantrum until you acknowledge them.

Good luck. I hope this helps someone.

blueHouse977 August 25th, 2015

My last anxiety attack happened when I was taking my social 30-1 diploma. It was so embarrassing and scary. I couldn't catch a grip on anything or my breath. Everybody was staring at me. Which made it 1000 times worst.

SimonTheGr8 August 26th, 2015

Hey Princess! Sorry too hear your feeling this way, I suffer from Panic Attacks too. I have always tried tapping the soft part of your hand (the side) rapidly and softly when your experiencing something really positive in your life, then do the same thing when your suffering a panic attack. It helps you too relive those positive experiences in your mind! ;)

Celaeno August 26th, 2015

@SimonTheGr8, sorry for interrupting the flow of your lovely advice, but your avatar made me smile so widely, I thought I should thank you for it. Thank you ^^

Aw thank you! I was going too change it, but I kept it because another member who I met in Teen Support told me it made him smile!

Celaeno August 26th, 2015

@SimonTheGr8, I love it! Every time I read your posts, I imagine you whispering them softly, and then slowly disappearing in the bush. And this sensation is so absurd, and amusing, one cannot hold their smile ^^

Just your presence brightens up my time in this community!

Aw <3 :) That is so sweet! Thank you so much! You have just shown us your true colours :)

plumThinker4710 August 26th, 2015

That requires striking presumption on my part to do this with Neuro Elite in order to push ahead with that. Neuro Elite is a complex arrangement to save you money for Neuro Elite. However, "Every picture tells a story." Is that ethical? This isn't a long established industry. I had discredited that I would like to take it all in stride. It is a replay of what happened to Neuro Elite a couple of days ago. There's one rule for the rich, and another for the poor. I gather this kind of Neuro Elite will only bring disaster in the long term.

http://tryslenderagarciniacambogia.net/neuro-elite/

lightGlobe8412 August 26th, 2015

I have anxiety attack but I'm still nice, polite, to everyone around me cuz when u treat. Other people a certain way they will treat u back the same way .

Tai98 August 27th, 2015

How do you deal with these? I'm 17 and I've had anxiety/panic attacks for nearly 2 years, but they've been getting worse, lasting 20-30 minutes nearly every single day. Even when the hyperventilating and fast heartbeat stop, the shaking and scary thoughts continue for hours. Its like I'm constantly in a state of fear and I don't know what to do.