Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Work Anxiety

writerchick88 December 2nd, 2021

A few days ago my boss approached me about a promotion- but it has to be on the down low because the whole thing is happening because her boss is getting fired so she's stepping up and she wants me to take her place. The issue is I am VERY conflicted about taking the position.

The pros are of course a pay rise, I wouldn't have to work overnight (which comes with its own set of pros), it would look great on any resume to be promoted after only working a year where I am. I would be able to potentially affect a lot of change in how things are run. I'd get more client interaction.

The cons being I can see how stressful the job is. One of the women I work with had my bosses old position and she quit. I see how much stress it puts my boss under and I am SOOOOO not about that life. Its a lot of extra work, a lot of extra pressure- but the biggest thing is that I want to go back to grad school and get my degree for counseling. I'm concerned about being able to do school and work at the same time as it is- now let alone a higher stress, probably longer hours/more days job.

The worst thing is that I can't talk to any of my co-workers about it, my therapist is on vacation so I can't talk to him about it, my family and friends will all think I am NUTS for turning it down and that I'm letting my anxiety talk me out of something good. Luckily, it doesn't sound like it'll happen all that soon so I have time to mull it over...but it's already causing my resting level of anxiety to ratchet up which is giving me all kinds of GI issues.

halcyonCloud2036 December 2nd, 2021

@writerchick88

I love that you are able to clearly outline the pros and cons here. That is so smart and so helpful. It sounds like you really have your heart set on the long-term goal of going to grad school and doing a profession in counseling.

I think one of the most important things to think about here is your own happiness long-term. Yes, I am sure you could do the job and do it well, but at what price? Your health, your future goals, your dream of returning to school? Sometimes the money and the resume building are enough to help us survive the stress, but it sounds like this is not even what you had envisioned for yourself at this point. And since you have witnessed and heard about the stress levels associated with this job responsibility, just take your time to seriously think what would make you happy...not just now, but a year from now and so on.

Sending you vibes for clarity and peace.