Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

So much to be scared of

creativeMelon1653 April 17th, 2016

I'm going to have LASIK done in a month. I admit, the procedure scares me. However, I'm also tired of contacts and glasses.

I also plan on teaching English in China. But part of me is scared. I know I have to, but I'm still nervous. I'm learning the language and I found that as long as I'm working, I mostly don't have to worry about rent. I know I need to start my life. I also know that I have to get out of my comfort zone.

April 18th, 2016

@creativeMelon1653

I don't believe there is any such thing as minor surgery. You have every right to be nervous. Whether the odds are 10,000 to 1 or 100,000,00 to 1 of it being successful, we're not talking about a $2.00 lottery ticket! I'm sure there are message boards of post-operative patients who are quite happy they had the surgery and would have it again and recommend it. LASIK is no longer in its infancy. Many people have had the procedure successfully. Find out if there are any important questions you should ask the facility and physician where the procedure is going to take place.

I am a teacher. I've taught first-grade, middle-school, special needs, English Language Learners, and even at University. I have never had the privilege of teaching in a non-English country. It's an exciting adventure, scary, but exciting at the same time. I am from the States and lived abroad for about 10 years. Even in a major, industrialized, English-speaking country, it was an amazing learning experience that I would suggest for others.

I believe you will do well! Be brave.

creativeMelon1653 OP April 28th, 2016

@JeffWM

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my ability.

I know LASIK isn't such a new surgery anymore and I know that people like the results, but the fact that surgical tools and lasers will be close to my eyes are chiefly what's making me nervous. I watched a gamer on YouTube play a surgery simulation game of LASIK and it's slightly comforting to know I might not see or feel most of it. So that makes me feel better.

AdVictoriam April 18th, 2016

Sending you tons of support and love! <3

- xx, AdVictoriam

creativeMelon1653 OP April 28th, 2016

@AdVictoriam

Thanks. I appreciate this. *hugs*

creativeMelon1653 OP May 4th, 2016

Tomorrow is the big day! I'm looking forward to it. Is it weird my vanity is overriding any fear? Because I'm sick of the glasses acne.

creativeMelon1653 OP May 5th, 2016

@creativeMelon1653

Well, the LASIK eye surgery was a success! I just have to keep up with the drops, which I can and do...do. I'm so glad I did.

It makes it so I now can't really chicken out of going abroad.

creativeMelon1653 OP May 7th, 2016

Update: got the surgery. It wasn't so bad. I was terrified when I got on the table, but the only bad part was the thing that holds open your eyes. And that's because it pokes a lot. But I got something to squeeze before surgery and I squeezed. Hard.

But yeah, now That only have to recover.

May 15th, 2016

@creativeMelon1653

I've never heard of anyone regretting the surgery. I'm glad it worked out well.

BreatheOnTheWater July 10th, 2016

@creativeMelon1653 Good job! You did it!

I vividly remember the large plush frog that they placed on my tummy to 'squeeze'. I squished that thing to death. Poor frog. :)

creativeMelon1653 OP May 12th, 2016

Another update; I had to resubmit an assignment. I'm scared that this will blow my only chance to escape from my town. I did what I had to do to fix it but still.

creativeMelon1653 OP July 4th, 2016

Here's a new update: I completed my course! Hurray for me! Now I just have to get my certificate and then apply for jobs.

And I think I figured out a way to override my fears. My annoyance and frustration with my family along with the need to escape their smothering control overrides my fear of traveling to another country for a while.

@creativeMelon1653

That's not healthy, I know, but it helps. Another is basically reminding myself that there's not much left for me in the town I live.

Another update: turns out, there will be a mail strike in Canada, which is where my online class is. So now I have to worry about if my certificate was mailed before then and if not, how long the strike will take!

creativeMelon1653 OP July 7th, 2016

@creativeMelon1653

Another update: since there's that strike, they're going to see if they can get me an e-copy so I can apply for jobs.