Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Physical symptoms

Tmb141311 January 19th, 2022

Does anyone have any tips for the physical symptoms of anxiety? Especially heart flutters

Clemete January 25th, 2022

Hello. For me, done stuff that has really helped is the following: (1) cultivate a healthy perspective about anxiety. Namely it is not a bad thing. It is like a special mode we have to help us remain vigilant when we perceive a potential threat. It helps us focus, remain alert and awake, etc. It's a totally normal, healthy thing and you can know what to expect when it happens. (2) Understand what causes it. Emotions are very general. There can be any number of things that make us happy or that make us sad, etc. It's mostly that a pattern is recognized, like if I recognize "I'm in a favorable situation" then I will start to feel happy. Now the key here, at least for me, it's that it doesn't have to be what is actually physically happening, it can be whatever I am focusing my attention on. If I focus on sad things I feel sad, happy things, I feel happy. (3) Virtuous cycle out of anxiety. Knowing 1 and 2, you can use it to break out of anxiety and feel relieved. When you feel especially anxious, try this: recognize that whenever you are feeling anxious about, you can choose to think about it more, if you want, without feeling the anxiety. The anxiety is not necessary . Next think about something that you genuinely want - maybe it is too feel better, maybe it's a vacation, whatever it is imagine it has happened and is happening. You will in all likelihood feel a little bit better. Next focus on the feeling of feeling better. Realize it is proof about 1 and 2 and that means you can always release the anxiety. You will probably feel a tiny bit better still. Focus on that feeling of feeling better. Keep doing that until you feel relieved. And then laugh the anxiety off. (4) I have personally used this to calm down when I have been very anxious and feeling many symptoms. It has worked very well for me. I hope it does for you too.

Mattie123 January 25th, 2022

Three things that really help me with my anxiety symptoms, especially with heart flutters or palpitations are:

1) Exercise

2) The awareness (or acceptance) that they are not life threatening

3) Getting adequate rest

FootballHead93 July 13th, 2023

I have been working out which seems to help, but the heart flutters are the worst!

FootballHead93 July 13th, 2023

Any other tips would be appreciated. I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping

ElenaCh September 9th, 2023

@Tmb141311

Hello,

Experiencing physical symptoms of anxiety, such as heart flutters, can be distressing. Here are some tips that may help you manage these symptoms:

Deep Breathing: Practice deep breathing exercises to help calm your body's response to anxiety. Inhale slowly through your nose, hold for a few seconds, and exhale slowly through your mouth. Repeat this process several times.

Progressive Muscle Relaxation: This technique involves tensing and relaxing each muscle group in your body, starting from your toes and working your way up. It can help reduce overall tension and physical symptoms.

Mindfulness and Meditation: Mindfulness techniques and meditation can help you stay grounded in the present moment, reducing the intensity of physical sensations associated with anxiety.

Regular Exercise: Engaging in regular physical activity can help reduce overall anxiety levels and improve heart health. Aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise most days of the week.

Limit Stimulants: Reduce or eliminate the intake of caffeine, nicotine, and other stimulants, as they can exacerbate physical symptoms of anxiety.

Stay Hydrated and Eat Balanced Meals: Dehydration and fluctuations in blood sugar levels can contribute to physical symptoms of anxiety. Make sure you're drinking enough water and eating regular, balanced meals.

Sleep: Ensure you're getting enough quality sleep. Sleep deprivation can worsen anxiety symptoms, including heart flutters.

Keep a Journal: Tracking your anxiety symptoms and identifying triggers can help you better understand your anxiety and develop strategies to manage it.

Relaxation Techniques: Explore various relaxation techniques, such as visualization, aromatherapy, or listening to calming music, to help soothe your body's response to stress.

Take care of yourself 🙏🏻

flowerrr8 September 16th, 2023

@Tmb141

Hey, how are you?

I have tried few things, on my anxiety symptoms. Specially heart palpitations.

The things that worked for me was counting numbers😶 Or saying myself it's okay, things are going to be okay, or trying to breathe and i thing actually worked for me was drinking a little chilled water, it calms me down a Little.

LuminousOwl3 September 26th, 2023

@Tmb141311

There is a technique to help with the physical symptoms of anxiety including heart palpitations. The steps include:

1. Rub hands together and shake them off.

2. Place hands sideways over the eyes, and take a deep breath through the nose.

3. As you exhale, drag your fingers to your temples.

4. Take a deep breath through your nose, then exhale.

5. Take another deep breath and move your fingers to the top of your ears. Then exhale.

6. Move fingers behind your ears, then take fingers to the side of your neck, and then come down over your heart.

7. Place both hands overlapping on your heart, and take a deep breath in. Then exhale.

VenusianMoon September 29th, 2023

I experience a fast heart rate during times that I'm feeling particularly anxious. I've been finding that remembering to slow down my breathing, thoughts and just taking a moment to slow down my environment where possible reflects back in my physical symptoms of anxiety. Taking a moment to change my thoughts from catastrophic to positive helps, too. I stop to do the three good things technique where you reflect on three good things that have occurred recently and I try to force myself to form positive thoughts, smile to myself, in hopes that it triggers positive reactions in my physiology.

generousBeing7908 September 30th, 2023

If you notice yourself only focusing on the physical symptoms, it might fall under panic disorder which is really treatable! It might be useful to focus on techniques related to this.

kindPrince50 October 2nd, 2023

@Tmb141311 I find that trying to think of 3 alternative positive ways a situation could go can help. So the mind can race with the worst case scenario leading to the physical symptoms but a trick would be to flip it around and challenge the mind to think of 3 positive things to counter that.

frothyFriend147 October 7th, 2023

@Tmb141311

Hey friend 😊 

Breathing exercises may help in this situation. You can also try calming yourself. There are so many ways available to calm ourselves which can be found easily on YouTube. 

Reliable68 November 17th, 2023

@Tmb141311pperhaps try pacing back and forth while saying your alphabet backwards, it may sound strange but may help

MegaEXE5976 November 26th, 2023

@Tmb141311 Hello there,

I have often found that doing things to wind down like reading a book or watching a movie helps however sometimes running and exercise have been my best friends as well. I hope this helps and I hope you have a safe weekend.

BryanM9999 November 26th, 2023

There's some v good advice on here.   I've gotten into the habit of a quick 'body scan' to help with heart flutters.  Oh.  And watching my alcohol intake.  That made a real difference.

passionateEast3565 November 26th, 2023

Introceptive exposure therapy works miracles do try it may help in just one try 😉

SerenityLight December 10th, 2023

Hi, sorry that you're dealing with heart flutters, it is indeed scary at times. I get them at times and talked to my doctor about them. I had some tests done just to be safe it wasn't anything to do with my heart. That may be the first priority.

If the doctor says all is okay with your heart and the flutters are most likely from anxiety, then one thing that does helps me is to stop what I am doing and do deep breathing. If you are in a public place, you don't have to close your eyes, but you can focus on breathing very slowly in and out. This helps slow down your heart rate. 

You may want to ask your doctor for other ideas as well and find some that fit you. 💗

mysteriousSky2331 January 5th

@Tmb141311

I can understand. I'm writing only those that worked for me the best.

1. Deep breathing- As it calms nervous system. Inhaling slowly through your nose, holding for a few seconds and then exhaling through your mouth.

2. Mindfulness- As it helps me to be more aware of the present and also helps with bringing attention.

3. Hydration and adequate sleep as dehydration can cause fatigue and fatigue can contribute to heightened anxiety. 

4. Regular exercise- Even if it's mild walking, that'll also helps. Starting with beginner friendly exercises to moderate ones regularly.

To whoever is reading this, hope this helps😊

goodCake2893 January 5th

I get some horrible physical symptoms of anxiety almost daily, I get a sense of fear/dread, fast pounding heart rate, breathing changes, stiff muscles/body, feeling light headed/ dizzy and just terrible in general. It can be really horrible, this is also why I have joined this site.

Arie3 January 14th

@Tmb141311 Some tips that might help - Focus on breathing, cup ur hands and breath through ur mouth in them, exercise and take nature walks, do stuff u love without thinking what others think and overall be happy and treat yourself with love. Dont be ashamed or scared when u get anxious, its okay. reach out to us if u want to talk :)