Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I don't know what to do with my emotions

Sylwind June 17th, 2020

It's an odd thing, but even though I'm nearly 23 I've only had experience with true emotions for a little bit. An emotionally abusive father caused me so much stress for years that I honestly don't remember much that I should and repressing my emotions is the most normal thing. For years I just felt like I didn't care about anything even if I was going through life trying to accomplish goals that are connected to my passions. But, I suppose I never was as passionate as I thought until recently. I'm feeling emotion more than I ever have before, which is good, but it's unfamiliar territory and it causes me problems. Sometimes it feels like I'm feeling so much that it's completely paralyzing and I might be trying to repress things again so that I don't have to deal with things at inopportune times, but I might just not know when or how to deal with things. I'll be getting ready for school and will be about to go out the door, but then suddenly all I can do is sit on the floor and sob just like the days he was waiting outside the house for me. These paralyzing moments have a build-up, the time beforehand is filled with random energy spikes, an inability to focus on anything and brain fog. I know that much, but I still have no idea what to do with my emotions. How do I feel? How can I stop separating myself from all of my past and present emotions? I have a lot of history to catch up on and it just feels like I'm overloading my system every month or so. Is there any way to do better?

Idontknow247 June 17th, 2020

@Sylwind

I would highly recommend looking into a therapist or counselor that your school can provide. They can help you work through your emotions as well as give continual support. Most colleges will provide a certain amount of counseling sessions for free and more if needed. Wishing you the best!