Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Good and bad anxiety

brightTree5008 July 2nd, 2020

I have been dealing with bad anxiety due to racism from people I know personally. These last few weeks have been very painful.

But I just submitted a new job application. It's weird to think about, dealing with racism but also continuing on with everything around me. It has to happen. It doesn't lessen the pain. But I'm excited about something after a long time.

It's creating a mix of good and bad anxiety in me, but for the moment I feel at least something a little good.

jwsgson126 July 3rd, 2020

@brightTree5008 thank you for sharing your experiences. It is a constant challenge to remind ourselves that racism that lives and breaths in the US to this day is systemic. And it seems these people who are directing their hatred at you are doing nothing but perpetuating systemic racism. I can only imagine how much anxiety this may cause. I'm a white person and I believe that it is in my job description to actively combat this systemic racism and be anti-racist. Then again, I know from experience that it's not taken so lightly when I try to inform or correct someone who is blatantly ignorant.

One thing I've been trying for my anxiety is something I read about that is used for dialectical behavioral therapy and it is called the mammalian diving reflex. It is a physiological response that occurs to physically calm your body when you hold your breath under water (~20-30 seconds). It works well with ice in the water and you can just try sticking your face in a large bowl instead of using a bathtub or a pool. Just an idea! If you try it, I hope it helps.

sincerely, jwsgson126