Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Fear of drawing and creating

alcre October 8th, 2020

Hi there everyone!

A 'rambling post ahead' warning. Apologies for the length!

So, it is exactly how it sounds in the title - fear of drawing. Sounds funny, doesn't it? How can I be afraid of artistic creation so much that just a thought of taking out paper and a pen or a brush makes me break out in cold sweat? How can I want to cry or leave the room as soon as I look at a sketchbook? There are so many different difficult (and reasonable) phobias out there - so how can drawing, an inconsequential thing at the end of the day, make me so fearful?

What makes it worse is that I want to draw. I want to create. Yet, every time I try to pick up a pencil, a pen, a brush, paper, a mouse to make some digital art - I get completely paralysed. The number of things I drew in the last 4 years could be counted on fingers of my both hands. Not only that, but my chosen career makes it a necessity to draw or at least sketch well enough for the client to understand the general concept of the design. It makes me feel broken, in some way, this unreasonable fear - an architecture student that is scared of sketching and designing? What a joke! It's a basic skill, come on. I tell myself that I just need to get over myself and just do it... But it doesn't work. It never works.

Frankly, it's ridiculous. But I can't seem to help it. I want to draw, I really do - but I can't and it makes me feel like I'm at the end of my rope.

Summary of the reasons: attended an intensive drawing course for two years in high school, drew all the time including mornings, school breaks, afternoons and even some nights, burnt out but didn't realise it, started getting worse at drawing despite drawing as much as possible, was shamed on public forum due to poor works, was abandoned by mentors despite getting into university abroad, left the country, got depressed, passed the uni at the bottom of the class due to paralysing fear of drawing and creation, got some self-work done, improved in many areas, now looking for solutions to the drawing problem.

I used to like drawing. Love it even, at times. I could sit down with paper for hours and just sketch, sketch, sketch - it was so fun! 6 years ago, I would never guess that I would start to hate and fear drawing and art in general.

It started with a drawing course, actually, that I took for two years in high school. An intensive course that not only taught us how to draw, but how to do it well and fast, how to think like a designer, like an architect. It was difficult, frankly. We were expected to draw a lot, to create a lot, for at least a few hours every day, two half-day long classes each day and a staggering number of homework. It wasn't impossible, mind you, just difficult. One had to be commited and with an impeccable time management and organisation skills to keep up with both the course and the high school work.

Every lesson, we would begin by taking out all of the large-format drawings we did since the last lesson and putting them in view for everyone to see - and every time, our tutors would go one by one, judging and scoring them, giving advice, criticising at times, saying what was done wrong, what was done well etc. I remember that I was so pumped in the beginning, so energetic - and I was doing, to be honest, amazingly well. But then, I started running out of time between the course, the high school, the other additional extracurriculars. I started getting stressed and procrastinate, putting stuff off, then realising I wouldn't be able to finish and spending night studying and drawing, and working - I would start doing things quickly, badly and showing worse and worse drawings. My skills seemed to fluctuate at the time, I remember - I would show amazing work that I spent so much time on, then not have enough time to finish another and in consequence show awful works that were later ridiculed on the public forum by the tutors. I would jump between extremes, between 10s and 0s, between 'That's amazing' and 'Are you ashamed? You should be'.

In the end, I would keep working, keep drawing and painting. I would draw in the morning before school. I would draw during the school breaks in the corridors. I would draw at night, not getting enough sleep.

Everything so that the tutors of the course would only look at me and say that they're proud of my achievements. My parents were never very involved in my life, never really close, my childhood itself rather cold and loud - and these tutors, they became like mother- and father-figures to me, like mentors I could count on. Which is why hearing how pathetic some of my works were became so difficult and stressful. Why I started fearing each lesson.

Later, there came a suggestion that, maybe, we could try out for studies abroad. It became my new goal - I wanted it because it would mean leaving my home, something I really needed to do. I also wanted it because my mentors wanted it. In the end, I was mostly led by fear and hope in equal measures.

In the second year of the course and last year of high school we were divided into two groups: advanced and advanced+. In theory, both groups were supposed to be equal. In practice, my group was just deemed worse and put aside with work but little guidance.

I was an emotional and sensitive teenager with anxiety and anger issues at the time... and I felt completely abandoned by the people, I thought, were in my corner, that decided that I was not good enough. I didn't stop then, though, I kept pushing, learning as much as I could, trying to get to study abroad, to get into the program in the country just in case, to make them proud. But my drawing stopped improving. In fact, it started getting worse and worse. The more I would draw, the worse my works would get, so I would draw more to improve, but that would make it even worse. I was burnt out, yet too stubborn, blind and naive to realise it. That last half year was a pure struggle. I passed my final exams with an average of 85%, didn't get into the university in my country and while I did get to study abroad thanks to all that hard work... it seemed to be for nothing. I let them know that I got into the university after the course finished, but I didn't even receive a 'well done' or 'good luck'.

The summer after I spent like in a dream. I didn't touch paper at all. I felt off, on edge, with bouts of crying and panic attacks at the most silly of things. I left the country mostly on my own, got to the city I was going to study in, threw myself into a completely new culture, completely new school, completely new life. I experienced typical transition shock and university struggles alongside extreme cultural shock, poverty, poor working conditions, living in a dangerous neighbourhood and after the initial period of simple survival, I became apathetic.

Later, the uni doctors slapped me with pills and depression diagnosis and left it at that.

It took three years to graduate and while I did create some during the time, I drew, sketched and painted as little as possible and graduated close to the bottom of my class.

I still can't touch the pencil without feeling stressed and miserable.

I want the good feeling of drawing again. How do you get it back?

goldenmoon7 October 9th, 2020

@alcre hi, there. I'm an artist too of sorts. At first I thought you were experiencing like, fear of not performing well, but then as you mentioned reasons, yeah. I feel that sometimes too, like, what if what I do isnt good enough. At this point it seems like you're gonna have to start from scratch again. So well, I've read this somewhere, like, try drawing just a line. Or a few. For the time being that would be enough. And as time progresses and if u feel comfy jjst drawing lines, move up a bit further and try shapes. And so on. Then maybe a figure with lines. A figure with shapes. Dont set very high expectations of yourself. Youd think that you must do and perform as you did years back, but rn you're having a burnout so, well, it's okay to take things slowly and appreciate yourself for the little things.

I made the mistake of setting too many expectations of myself when In reality my art wasnt that good, compared to all those tutorials I was watching. So for now, just draw a line. And if you're able to do it, pat yourself for it. Try to go one step ahead but dont pressure yourself too much. If you feel unable, say you'll try again next day. The point is to keep growing gradually.

alcre OP October 9th, 2020

@goldenmoon7

I think that my issue came mostly from the fact that I did my best, worked as hard as it was possible, yet couldn't keep up with the pace - and was publically shamed for that weakness. At the same time, I did it for all the wrong reasons and it's these reasons, the pressure of having to do well or be deemed a failure, what pushed me into not only burnout, but even a phobia.

Your suggestions sound logical. I'll try with simple steps then, trying to keep in my that I do it for myself and because I used to enjoy it, instead of for someone else or because I have to. I'll try with holding a pencil, maybe. I didn't touch a classic pen since the course, so I'll just start with mechanical. And maybe paint. I didn't finger paint since preschool, maybe it would be a good step to find and reconnect with that kid that simply liked to draw and paint in free time.

7motivation October 8th, 2020

@alcre

What you describe is similar in some ways to "creative burnout"

which is explained at the link below, which also has solutions to pick from

https://www.google.com/search?q=BURNED+OUT+FROM+DRAWING

What you describe is also similar to "anxiety from drawing" here

https://www.google.com/search?q=ANXIETY+FROM+DRAWING

When I have a challenge, I always search the web and find solutions. Then try them and see what works. Modify as needed. Or go back and search based on what I learned from experimenting. I do all of the above all the time and it helps me a lot in solving life's tricky challenges.

Please forgive any typos above.

vaiven October 9th, 2020

@alcre

Hi! I think what you experienced is not ridiculous at all. To get back to it I would offer (I might be wrong, or partly wrong) that you have to learn to love yourself a LOT more, and start loving what you create. It is a hard path. I can relate a lot. I think that design/architecture teachings are both amazing and limitating a the same time. Sometimes we get confused because they give you a stray-jacket, they lead you to think there is ONE way to do things, and one path to get there. But remember that some amazing artists like Tadao Ando didn't fall into architecture until their 40s, or that others didn't even go to Architecture school. Don't fall for the bitterness of adults, there is not only one path to discover your own artistry. You can do anything you set your mind to, but sometimes we are tricked into thinking that the effort, the ways, the results will be the same for everyone.

Mental health is so relevant... if you sit down, close your eyes and let yourself trust your mind--what do you see? if you can't draw it right now, write it down. maybe film something. take a picture. make a drum beat. Drawing is one beautiful, craft-full mode of expression, but every mode has its limits and you won't be able to say everything in one medium that you impose on yourself. Sometimes your mind is trying to express something and try not to limit it with rational processes.

Also--Have you tried blind contours, maybe while listening to music you love?

I hope this doesn't sound patronizing or hopeless. What I'm trying to say is that a lot of artistic disciplines think they can show you the beaten path and what may be happening is that your mind is broader than that. And I think the best way to become a better artist is to learn to listen to yourself.

Also, have you read "The Artists' Way"? It's not 100% certified that it will get you back where you want but it has helped a lot of people that became good artists.

alcre OP October 9th, 2020

@vaiven

I used to hate and despise myself, you know. I don't anymore, but I don't like myself very much either. Not yet at least. It's one of the things I've been working on for the last few years, but it's slow going.

There is much pressure on young professionals now, I see, art or no art. The pressure to always keep working, always be productive, always be creative, always be useful, always keep up with the race. It's exhausting, university was exhausting, working life is exhausting. Having been brought up in a culture of a permanent 'time debt', always afraid of wasting time... That's no way to live. I don't try to 'keep up' anymore. I have only my own life, myself, my own pace. Comparing myself and rushing gave me nothing but heartache. It just doesn't work.

I believe that it's not only architecture or art that is thought to have to be done in one way only. It's everything. The whole society. Finish high school, get into a good uni/college, pass well, get a job, create, get kids, be a good member of the society. Sometimes I despise it. Other times I just think it's not for me anymore, numb as I became towards it.

I need to remember about people like Tadao Ando and avoid getting into that trap. Life is what I choose for it to be.

I heard of blind contours and tried them once or twice. It was almost not scary, I remember. I'll start with small steps again and see how it goes, read for now, hold a pencil at times, try not to expect much. I'm stubborn if nothing else, I'll probably keep beating my head against the wall until one of the two breaks, heh.

I never heard of 'The Artist's Way' but I'll check it out.

I want to thank you for your message. It was a surprisingly soothing read, not patronising at all, simply helpful and understanding. So, thank you again. I hope I can draw again one day. It's just... sad, having had lost that spark and being unable to even try getting it back.