Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Does Anybody Else Have On-Off Feelings of...

AverageAbigail May 19th, 2021

detachment-attachment? staying put and running away? I feel these primarily towards family and sometimes my few friends. I have a strong urge to go off the grid and cut off contact with family and friends because I feel out of place and lost. I don't know what to do after I graduate college and I frequently feel emotionally unstable these days. I just want to live alone and cry right now.

magicalsilverglitter May 19th, 2021

@AverageAbigail

my heart goes out to you. i'm going through the exact same thing right now. for context, i'm 15 and i'm not talking to anybody right now because my mental health isn't all that great and i want to create some distance in between me and everyone else i know.

i think it's because of my past and how i've had a difficult time trusting people because i was constantly betrayed by people that i trusted. and maybe i feel like i can only trust myself and therefore feel like pushing everyone away every now and then.

what do you think could be the reason for you to be doing this right now?

if you want to talk about it, i'm here for you :)

AverageAbigail OP May 19th, 2021

Thank you for responding, @magicalsilverglitter. I would like to talk about this issue further. How can I send you a 1 on 1 chat seeing as you are a listener?

magicalsilverglitter May 19th, 2021

@AverageAbigail

you can go to my profile and click on "leave a message"

AverageAbigail OP May 19th, 2021

@magicalsilverglitter Unfortunately, there is no "leave a message" button on your profile, so I guess I'll just respond here.

I think my reason is the same as yours -- betrayals and emotional manipulation as well as harsh judgments made me develop trust issues -- and the need to escape these people to start off as a blank slate. This feeling has been going on since I was a child, growing up in an abusive household and bullying in middle school to high school. I reckon it springs up when I feel insecure towards successful family members and friends and when I undergo bouts of self-hatred.

Eudaimonia99 May 19th, 2021

@AverageAbigail

I can understand the lost feeling of an uncertain future. This does make people want to run away and hide from friends and family. The reason may vary like, you don't want to make family worry or you don't want to be judged by friends. It is hard to reveal the most vulnerable part to the people that you know. This is the critical time in life that needs support the most. Don't isolate yourself. We will be here and you are not alone.

AverageAbigail OP May 20th, 2021

@Eudaimonia99 Thank you. Yeah, this is why I'm hanging around 7 Cups to seek support and also support others (it's quite healing to be able to give assistance and a listening ear to those who need it).