Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anyone else on here a lawyer?

AT1983 July 10th, 2016

I work as a lawyer in the USA in complex litigation and I'm constantly stressed. I have many different triggers for anxiety, but these days work is the major source of the anxiety I suffer. I want to leave my job but I fear that some of my cases are in such a bad state that if I leave someone else will pick up the slack handling a bad case. I may be putting too much of a burden on myself or it could be a case of not focusing on my feelings, but I really feel like I can't escape. I couldn't enjoy this weekend because I am scared of the impending doom of the workplace

helpfulsam99 July 14th, 2016

It sounds like you're putting too much pressure on yourself. You're not responsible for dealing with every single thing at work all the time, right?

So when you're home for the weekend or you have a day off, don't spend any more time than is absolutely necessary thinking about things that remind you how stressed you are.

I think maybe you should also consider getting a little bit of therapy to help with anxiety.

helpfulsam99 July 14th, 2016

@helpfulsam99

I forgot to add that I am not a lawyer, which is why I have no lawyer-specific advice.

friendlyPal6180 May 5th, 2017

@AT1983 I am an attorney. I know what you are going through. message me

AT1983 OP July 29th, 2017

@friendlyPal6180 thanks for the reply. I haven't been on the site for a while - so sorry I didn't respond. I'd be interested in messaging if you're interested

friendlyPal6180 August 6th, 2017

@AT1983 just seeing your reply. I am happy to message and do what I can to help. I can definitely relate to your post and greenlights post as well. How do we message on here just through this thread?

greenlightone May 5th, 2017

I am a lawyer as well. I struggle with the uncertainty about grey areas of law that I need to advise upon. Clients want certain and concrete answers but when these are not always a reality, it makes it difficult to deliver solutions. Litigation is full of unpredictability as well, I guess?

It's all about being able to switch off. I also have trouble relaxing on the weekend. Work flies through my mind and I cannot sleep.

Mindfulness meditation is one technique plus I have learnt a number of strategies to help me to relax and to deal with anxiety.

All the best ... those strategies I mentioned can really help :)

AT1983 OP July 29th, 2017

@greenlightone thanks for the reply. I was definitely experiencing all those things. I recently got a new job in govt where I have an in house position. It's a lot less stressful!