Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Advice on seeking help

MountainThyme August 27th, 2017

Hi there! I'm really just hoping for a little advice from the community on speaking to a doctor about anxiety. I've never been to see a doctor about mental health before and if I'm honest I'm not really sure what the procedure is? The whole thing is, funnily enough, making me very anxious and I almost don't want to go because of that. But I want help because I really feel like it's negatively impacting my life and has been for some time, and I have no idea how to help myself, or where to start. I'm also very scared that I might not be taken seriously or be told there's nothing to be done about it. The idea of being this way forever is awful.

Should I make an appointment? And if I do, should I do anything like write down points on how I've been feeling? I'm generally terrible at talking face to face with people about myself so it might be good to have something to refer to, but I'm not sure if that'd just seem stupid.

Sorry for for all the questions! Any pointers would be so helpful cause I'm really not sure about this at all.

Rae

CocoShell2310 August 28th, 2017

@MountainThyme

hello rae. smiley like you, it took me a long time to make myself see a psychiatrist. i was also so anxious about it, and didn't know what to do or where to start either. the more i think about it, the more anxious i become, and so i think about it again much more. you know you need it and it will help you but you're so scared, i know that feeling. some one even told me that psychiatrists "have heard it all", that they are trained for that and will let you go on the pace that you are comfortable with, so i shouldn't be so scared or worried. smiley

then one day, it just happened, found that courage and will, and so i found myself checking in with a doctor. she was available then so i was a walk-in, you can talk about options you can do with your doctor in terms of evaluation and succeeding sessions needed, though these will be typically scheduled regular appointments.

in my mind, i have probably imagined thousands of scenarios that might happen as well, and yes, not being seriously taken is one of the things i was scared of, along with not getting better even if i checked with a doctor, or that if i would really be able to fully express myself or tell the doctor what i really meant. i am also scared of talking face-to-face so i generally forget stuff or cant seem to find the right words often. with this, i do find that writing notes beforehand becomes very useful. perhaps you can express more properly in writing some thoughts you can't say verbally, and also helps you make sure you do not forget anything you want to check with them. for me, it's not stupid at all to bring some notes with you. in fact, it is generally heplful that you regularly monitor in writing your thoughts and feelings. well, that's what i do. you can always try things and see what works for you. heart