Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Panic attacks and driving

EddieQue February 1st, 2016

I experienced my first panic attack a couple of months ago. I am now terrified of getting a panic attack while driving. I drive far anymore cause when I drive long distances I start to hyperventilate. Any suggestions? Has anyone experienced a panic attack while driving?

Elle22 February 2nd, 2016

Having a panic attack can definitely be scary while operating a vehicle!

Here are some suggestions:

Practicing meditation or breathing exercises daily can be very helpful for managing panic attacks. That way, when you do have one, you have the tools to get your body breathing like it is calm, then your mind can follow. Doing them daily just allows for the kind of ease that is a relief during a panic attack.

Another thing that might be good to have in mind is knowing that you can pull over to the side of the road, into a gas station or driveway, etc if you do start to feel uncomfortable driving. Having that option available can be a comfort that allows for some calm.

NogginOfFur June 17th, 2016

Hello there!!

Just thought I'd say hi and join in on the thread here. I've had anxiety and panic attacks while driving since 2001. I had a bad car accident in 2007 and ever since then my anxiety and panic attacks had been much more frequent. Some days are better than others and sometimes I'll go stints where I'm fine. Other times I won't be able to drive at all. I've tried numerous ways to overcome the anxiety and impending panic attacks, some sort of help but I'm still looking for answers. I want to fix the problem, not just ease the symptoms. So here I am.

bestSpring9168 June 19th, 2016

On man, literally what I'm dealing with right now. My fear for driving is becoming a phobia and even thinking about long trips gets me overwhelmed. I'm not sure where you're at in your journey, but I'm thinking about finding a therapist before I become agoraphobia, and I suggest you do the same! It's ok to ask for help, especially since driving is super important. I live in a large city area and traffic is my nightmare, but something I cna't avoid. I hope you reach out and get the help you need before it beging taking over you life; I know thats where I'm headed without help!