Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My secret panic attacks...

BouncyFish August 29th, 2015

This is going to sound really stupid but I've had panic attacks since I was 7 and I haven't told people yet. When I was younger I was bullied, stressed, and depressed but I didn't tell because I didn't want to be thought of as a failure. As all of this built up, I had my first panic attack at age 7. For an entire summer I did nothing and all I ate was soup and lettuce (I know, I was weird). I didn't know what it was at the time and my parents thought it was mono. They got a bit better for a few years but I was always shy and stressed from then on. Then it came back when I transitioned from elementary school to middle school. I was separated from all of my friends and so I was lonely for the beginning of the year. I had gone from a super friendly kid to being terrified to talk to people. I continued to be bullied and stress over everything but I never let my parents know because I didn't want to seem useless. I found some friends who I still have now an they were the first people I knew who were educated on this stuff. One of my friends, Claire, had depression and anxiety and taught me all about those things. I learned about self harm, eating disorders, and panic attacks. After being educated on anxiety disorders I began to think about it. All of my problems related to anxiety and panic attacks so I confronted Claire. She accused me of making fun of her problems and being an attention hog. I was truly hurt by her because I thought friends were supposed to support each other. After that I believed that I was being rude and that I should keep my problems to myself. I stayed this way for 6 months and school, bullies, and socialization made my panic attacks worse. Now, I wake up crying on a weekly basis, I'm mocked by my own parents for being antisocial, and I'm more anxious than ever. Everything I've heard says that I should tell my parents so I can see a doctor but no one seems to understand that the only thing more stressful to me than hiding my anxiety is actually having to tell my parents. I have spent my whole life worried about making my parents proud and seeming like the perfect child and I'm afraid that if I tell them they will think I am a disgrace or a waste of their time. After all, why would they spend so much time on raising a child if she ended up broken anyway? I'm just looking for suggestions on if I should tell, how I should, or just things to help me deal with my anxiety...

Poorsarah August 29th, 2015

You are not broken, first of all. I just had my first panic attack a week ago and I thought I was gonna die so I can't imagine living with this for so long. Perhaps you're not yet ready to tell your parents about your disorder but there are many other things you can do to help yourself. Look for resources online or possibly a school counselor. You've already taken a first step by posting your story here! Anxiety is not something that will just go away on its own and it's very serious. You're not broken because you have a mental disorder that many other people suffer with as well. I'm already proud of you for reaching out on here!

BouncyFish OP August 29th, 2015

Thank you so much, that was so nice of you! I'm so glad that there are amazing people like you in the world, this made me feel much better about myself. I hope your panic attacks can get better too, keep it up buddy :)

Clouder August 30th, 2015

Hey there @BouncyFish,

Well done for coming here for support! That takes guts, especially after your first experience asking for help was such a negative one. I'm sorry to hear that your friend was so dismissive.

If you can't talk to your parents, your school counselor might be a good starting point. Another option is to call a local youth helpline. They should be able to help you find some support. In many places, there are free or heavily subsidised mental health services available, particularly for young people.

In the meantime, you might like to check out our Panic Attacks Self Help Guide. Completing the guide will help you on your pathway here :)

BouncyFish OP August 30th, 2015

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! This was no helpful and nice of you, you're awesome! Thank you for the positive feedback and great suggestions, it makes me feel so much less alone. :)