Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Everything will be all right!

nightflowerw March 4th, 2015

When I was a teenager I realized that I suffered from anxiety. It wasn't necessarily social, I had friends and I loved to be involved in clubs and activities. When I would perform on stage I would usually run to the bathroom, and have to talk myself up to be able to go out on stage. When I would go to take a test, my mind would go blank and even though I would study and know the material I would "freak out" and I would have to take major deep breaths and give myself a mental peptalk in order to start the exam. I WAS ALWAYS ABLE TO MANAGE. ANXIETY NEVER GOT THE BEST OF ME!

As a young adult, I started to notice my anxiety getting worse. I sought out therapy while I was in college and started to learn coping techniques. I managed for a few years, but then the stress of adulthood took a toll and I broke.

Daily panic attacks would wipe me out physically and emotionally. My husband, my biggest support, would help me through. It would get so bad that I would blank out, short out, whatever you want to call it. I knew that there was a much bigger problem. I decided to put myself in the hospital. That was just a first step. It was a difficult step because at that point in my life I was completely house bound. I was too afraid to go out.

I underwent years of therapy, little by little my confidence was building. I started going shopping, my husband would take me a night when I felt the most comfortable. As my confidence was built I would start going earlier and earlier until I could go during the day. I always had a plan. I understood that if I had a panic attack I always had a way out. I was never trapped, and that I would be ok. THAT'S RIGHT...YOU WILL ALWAYS BE OK.

I was finally able to manage myself well, slowly but surely I regained my independence and I didn't ever want to look back. I asked to be weaned off the medication, and I found that I had the tools to handle whatever came my way.

Fast forward to 7 months ago....

I had no idea that stress that builds up, and has no outlet can cause such a reoccurance of panic and anxiety. It hit me one night while out to dinner with the family. I thought I was dying, I called for an ambulance, scared and confused I thought that there was something physically wrong with me.

Come to find out...Panic Attack.

I felt the biggest surge of discouragement ever. I had the tools to cope right? Well I did, but that didn't seem to make it any easier. I was given a physical, a good once or twice over by my doctor and was told that I am physicallyhealthy and that my panic was rearing it's ugly head. I was prescribed medication and I had to figure this out. I sought out therapy again, and it has been a dreadfully slow process, so I started to look online to see how to manage.

It has been about a month now, and I finally have come to the realization that EVERYTHING WILL BE ALL RIGHT! I no longer wake up and immediately panic, IT GETS EASIER. I remind myself that God is with me and he will help carry my burdens. It is only a matter of time before I can live panic free. LIVE WITH HOPE. LIVE WITH FAITH.

I really pray that by sharing my story I can help YOU feel the comfort of knowing that THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

Hugs and Love,

Night

MichaelaS April 11th, 2015

Such an inspiring post! Thank you for sharing!

happybunny April 11th, 2015

Thank You for sharing your story! Hope helps me too and I have more hope whenever I hear people say from their personal experience that things DO CHANGE. Thank You.