Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you deal with anxiety + depression together?

generousBeing7908 September 30th, 2023

Hi folks, I’ve always had anxiety with some panic attacks sprinkled in. I’m fairly good at managing them and recognizing when my brain is acting up. Unfortunately, I’ve had some big changes in my life and it’s throwing everything up in the air. I’ve been dealing with depression on top of all this, which is making life extremely difficult. (and nasty intrusive thoughts to boot).

Any tips anyone has on dealing with multiple things at once, please let me know! It’s extremely difficult to focus on what issue to deal with first with all 800 million things jumbled up in my mind. :(

Tinywhisper11 September 30th, 2023

@generousBeing7908 there is only one way, take it one day at a time, and be kind to yourself. Do whatever makes you happy ❤❤have you reached out to a health professional? Like a doctor? Good luck sweetie ❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤❤

generousBeing7908 OP September 30th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11 I have a regular therapist but I’m looking into starting SSRIs when I get my annual checkup. Unfortunately this is not a new thing.

Tinywhisper11 October 1st, 2023

@generousBeing7908 gives you a giant tiny hug ❤squeezes you tightly. I'm so sorry sweetie ❤ I hope and pray for your healing🤗

CDK1972 September 30th, 2023

Hi generousBeing7908. Let me share my story. It might help. I have been dealing with depression for over 20 years. My last battle was about 3 months ago and it hit me pretty hard so I decided to see a psychologist for the first time in about 7 years. It helped me a lot. He discussed how anxiety and depression actually work and he also suggested for me to read 2 books. The 10 Best Ever Anxiety Management Techniques and Feeling Good. They discuss not only coping skills but talk about how bc go the brain works in regards to anxiety and depression. I really liked the books and I am still reading them. I am not a huge fitness guy but for the last 5 months or so I take a walk in my hilly neighborhood and I also jog a little bit to get my heart rate up. This helps me tremendously. I usually do it on my lunch break because I work close to home. I am also on an anti depressant which is 20 mg of Lexapro and when I go through my anxiety/depression episodes I will take Klonopin. There is hope and you will be ok. Trust me.

Camille32022 October 1st, 2023

@generousBeing7908,

Having both anxiety and depression is super hard. I should know, haha! One thing I have found is to listen to my body. Do I feel tired? hungry? restless? Sometimes, focusing on the cues your body gives you can help ease other stressors so you can better cope with the anxiety and depression you may be feeling. Everyone is different, so make sure you take care of what you need. Hope this helps! 💟