Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Grocery Shopping

ItsMeJax October 19th, 2023

Anyone ever go grocery shopping and want to scream at the top of their lungs because there are too many people and not enough space?

HealingTalk October 19th, 2023

@ItsMeJax

Hi Jax!

Supermarkets and malls are exasperating during weekends due to crowded spaces. More than shout I feel an urge to escape and run, run, run to an open park.

It also happens to me in events or "tourist traps" that I like much in themselves but I can't stand anymore because of the crowds.

For example the National Book Fair, the Annual Agriculture and Industry Fair, the National Flowers Party (all in Argentina, my country)  .

Also popular tourist attractions, from theme parks to art museums or archeological sites, that are wonderful in themselves, but get maddening when crowded. So I travel always out of season. And might avoid some even them.

Yippeee2012 October 19th, 2023

@ItsMeJax I have😭

Tobias5 October 19th, 2023

@ItsMeJax maybe not scream but it definitely is frustrating. 

MoonlitSummer October 19th, 2023

@ItsMeJax

Hello Jax, my name is Moon and I am a Listener and Academy Intern here at 7 Cups. I completely understand this feeling. If you suffer from anxiety, this is so common of a feeling. Cluttered spaces tend to make us feel more anxious, especially if we are experiencing issues with Social Anxiety as well. 
This can make us feel like we are suffocating.

I have Agoraphobia and GAD, so I truly understand how you must be feeling right now. I can see through the replies that there are others too who feel this same way.

I want you to know, first off that you are valid and that your feelings matter. I know how much effort it can take for someone with anxiety to even go out of the house, let alone in public. Anxiety can make something as "simple" as a grocery trip feel like torture almost.

May I ask you what other symptoms of anxiety you feel when you go out? Sometimes it helps to talk about this stuff and process it. I just want you to know I, and other Listeners on here are here for you. If you ever need to process things, please reach out on the:
www.7Cups.com/BrowseListeners page.

We also have helpful guides on Anxiety and one of the resources that you may find of some benefit to you is our Social Anxiety guide.

https://www.7cups.com/social-anxiety/

Please remember, you are not alone. We are here for you.

Sending love and light - Moon.

darknightmare21 October 19th, 2023

Oh every time I go actually I want to scream all the time in stores.@ItsMeJax

courageousRiver589 October 19th, 2023

@ItsMeJax

I totally get you. I need my space and find it very frustrating when there's just too many people! I think part of it is the desire to be valued and accepted, and when there are so many people in one place, I start to feel insignificant and like no one cares about me (even though it's obviously not true, but that's how it makes me feel :)).

Enthenia October 20th, 2023

I try to go to the grocery store as early as possible just so there's not as many people. 

Lillypad176 October 21st, 2023

@ItsMeJax

for me its not at the store, it's at school.
it's loud, and terrifying, and I hate going to the collage, I'd much rather just do it all from home or HS because I cant even do any work because I cant think strait.

unassumingCar1350 October 22nd, 2023

Yea, but I have my kiddos with me so I practice mindfulness when I'm feeling overwhelmed in public

EmpathicPikachu October 23rd, 2023

Hello Jax!

Definitely. And it doesn't help when you're in hurry and also you aren't good at making choices about what you actually need. There is always something to work in the end 😂.

Online grocery shopping works for me.

positiveLove546 October 23rd, 2023

Yes all the time! Especially when some people act as if they own the aisle!