Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Senior High schooler stress

convivialVillage7837 September 25th, 2023

Its hard to know what to focus on. Im a senior in high school so i have college apps but then i still have my classes and clubs in school. So i need to do homework but then i have an anxiety attack or feel suicidal and cant do it that night. Its hard to balence all these things.

generousBeing7908 September 25th, 2023

Please please please be kind to yourself. Anxiety and suicidal ideation are not joke, and take a lot out of a person. Beating yourself up about it is really mean to yourself. A lot of us were just given a different card in life. It’s not anyone’s fault, but we have to keep pushing forward and find different ways to take care of ourselves than the average person.

As far school work goes, what you get done is what you get done. There are lots of ways to organize this and reduce stress, but at the end of the day you only have so much productivity and energy.

Strategies I have used in the past to organize this that might help you include: planners, digital/physical calendars, sticky notes. At one point when I was taking 5 AP classes, band, and being in the orchestra pit with 3 hour daily rehearsals, I literally had to plan out every single hour of my free time just to stay afloat. Maybe keeping copies of this would help?

You can also talk to your guidance counselor or teachers to try and get an extension on things since you’re dealing with A LOT. There are always ways to accommodate in the education system! Hang in there- you’re doing great so far and I know it doesn’t feel like it, but this too shall pass :)

jzheng2025 September 26th, 2023

@convivialVillage7837 I'm so sorry you're going through all this. If you're stressing about college apps you can try asking for a guidance counselor for assistance. They usually have a lot of experience with the application processes so they're there to help you. I hope you feel better and less stressed about everything. Good luck, you'll feel so much more relieved once everything gets done.

ivoryAcai80 October 14th, 2023

@convivialVillage7837

i have felt the same way senior year is hella stressful but just remember there are people who can help you at least cheer you up. I know it’s stressful and it feels like no one is there to help like you just need a break to get things done but in the end if you do them or not doesn’t matter. 1 failed class shouldn’t matter because in the real world no one cares about that one class you failed. Anyways good luck. I hope the best for you!!! 

ASilentObserver November 3rd, 2023

@ivoryAcai80 Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Ivory. It sounds like the end of the school year is bringing up mixed emotions. However,, you are determined to get through this challenging time. Please know that you are not alone in what you are experiencing. You can join Teen Group Chats to share your experiences and get support as well. 

ASilentObserver November 3rd, 2023

@convivialVillage7837 It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now between school, college applications, clubs and dealing with anxiety or difficult emotions. Balancing everything can feel overwhelming. If I can ask, what helps you take care of yourself on challenging days?

calmMango9611 May 23rd

@convivialVillage7837 Just wondering if you made it through your sr year of High School?

calmMango9611 July 27th

@convivialVillage7837 High school can be stressful, indeed. You're not alone. Freshman year of high school was stressful for me, as well. This was back in the early 1990's. What helped me, was music and I also saw a counselor. I also suffered from depression. The counselor was helpful as well. 

Question Do you have anything that you enjoy doing? Some people find that when, they do things they enjoy it helps with the stress somewhat. Maybe find hobbies or something like that. Maybe join a social group online or go to one in person. I hope this helps you somewhat.