Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

FAQs: Adult-Teen Listener Program

ASilentObserver December 9th, 2022

Support comes in various forms. Listening to a member 1-1, group chats, forums. Supporting a listener or a leader etc. Similarly, when a listener becomes an Adult-Teen Listener (ATL), they are willing to support teens.

But while applying to become an ATL, there can be a lot of questions or concerns in your mind. We will be trying to address more of them through this FAQ post. It lists most of the common questions usually a listener may have.

☑️What is the significance of Adult-Teen Listener?

Adult-Teen Listener is a unique role in the 7Cups. As 18+, we all have our experiences of being a teenager as well as lived experiences of the transition phase of a teen to adult. We understand the struggles and emotions a teen goes through, so being an ATL allows us to listen, support, and comfort a teen in order to help them have less stressful experiences being a teenager or a teenager in transition. That’s how ATL has a significant impact on the teen community.

☑️What is ATL Interview? Is it necessary to attend?

ATL Interview is part of the ATL Onboarding & Training Process. It is necessary for everyone to attend. Without it, your ATL onboarding process may not be completed.

ATL Interview is an Audio-Video Meeting with ATL Program Leaders to assess and discuss your support vision and the community’s expectations from an ATL. It is an opportunity for an open conversation with the ATL Program Leaders.

☑️How long ATL interview going to be?

ATL interview lasts for 5 minutes to 10 minutes based on the ongoing discussion needed.

☑️Why do I need to submit social media handles or Government IDs?

It is required for the ATL Verification Process to protect the privacy and safety interest of an ATL and teens. Having the verification process allows consistency in the application and onboarding process for all.

☑️Is my information secure?

They are highly secure and confidential. Any social media handles or Government iD you share is only visible to an Admin. Your information is only used to complete the Verification Process after which the government IDs are deleted.

☑️Does having an interview mean I am approved to become an ATL?

Not necessarily. While landing an interview certainly moves you a step closer to becoming an ATL. Though, the best fits are selected.

What if I fail the interview or requirements to become an ATL?

That is okay. If in case you fail, you will receive feedback to improve your skills in the areas you needed to improve and after a certain period, you can reapply. We are all learning and failing is part of the process.

☑️What kind of questions should I expect during the interview? What are the keys to responding to these questions?

In addition to expectations, and behavioral and situational questions, the most common questions you might expect are your vision, how would you support a teen with X situation? How do your listening skills help the teen member? Etc.

The key to responding to the interview questions is to acknowledge and identify what encouraged you to apply to be ATL in the first place and how your presence may bring support to the teen community.

☑️I am scared to attend the interview. Any tips?

• I hear you and I can relate to how anxiety-inducing interviews can be. Here are some tips that may help reduce anxiety.
  • Deep breathing: Take slow, deep breaths from your diaphragm to help calm your body and mind. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
  • Mindfulness meditation: Focus your attention on the present moment, your breathing, or your body. This can help you relax and reduce worrying thoughts.
  • Challenging negative thoughts: Identify negative thoughts that are anxiety-provoking and challenge them with more balanced thoughts. This can help reduce anxiety and worry

☑️After becoming an ATL, what I can do?

Once you are an ATL, you will have complete access to the Teen Community and you can do the following:

• Take a 1-1 Teen Support Chat
  • Communicate with a Teen Listener 1-1
  • Participate in the Teen Member Group Chats to support teen members
  • Participate in in the Teen Listener Group chats to learn and share your experiences and tips with fellow teen listeners.
  • Can apply for Leadership Roles like Teen Transitioning Mentor, Teen Chatroom Mentor, Moderator, etc.
☑️If I have a question or any concerns, who should I contact?
For anything and everything related to Adult-Teen Listener Program, you can reach out to anyone of us @Bookworm4, @Jenna, @Heather225, and @ASilentObserver

If your questions or concerns are not covered here, please add your question to this thread.
To apply to become an Adult-Teen Listener, submit your application here! | Read more about the role

_1670565807.7879.jpg
December 9th, 2022

Thank you so much @ASilentObserver, this has been really helpful to read through. All my answers have been answered ☺️. I appreciate the time you put into writing such a long and informative post 💛 Thank you.

lyricalAngel70 December 22nd, 2022
Thank you @ASilentObserver
DanCat1128 January 5th

I don't have access to a phone number but really want to be an atl can we please work something out?

ASilentObserver OP January 10th

@DanCat1128 Thank you for reaching out and discussing it with @bookworm4, Dan. We appreciate your care and support to the community.