Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

adderall crash

b00kishbard July 4th

I recently started taking adderall, and I take a second dose at 1 pm so it wears off at around 6 pm. I notice that when it wears off I get easily irritated, I want to cry, and overall I just feel grumpy. What can I do to help stop these feelings? (Taking the morning dose later to make the afternoon dose later and wear off later isn’t an option for me)

CheeryMango July 4th

It's best to speak with your doctor about these issues you are having with your medication so they can properly advise you on what to do.

IndigoWhisper July 14th

@b00kishbard

This isn't a solution, but it might help a bit.  One be *aware* of when your medication will be wearing off perhaps set a non-jaring reminder that it's getting near that time then deliberately try to relax.  Put on music, go for a walk or run.  Practice mindfulness or meditation.

Caffeine and/or chocolate *might* be worth trying.  Chocolate has endorphins that are supposed to boost mood and caffeine helps some of us.

I think awareness that you are likely to be more easily angered and more emotional will help.  Be aware if the transition, time prepare for it, and then hopefully you will find it easier.

Hope that helps.

That struggle is so real, it can be a lot to take in and be a very frustrating setback, especially when it causes more problems after finding a solution!

Personally, I have found the most helpful thing for me is to not take my medication multiple days in a row. This helps the peaks and valleys even out a bit more for me and create less of a dependency. That, and taking half doses instead of full ones when I can. Everyone has different needs for ADHD medications, but if it’s new to you and you’re trying to find what works, taking less (both in dosage and in days of use) can have a big impact in making your body feel less intense coming off. My psychiatrist says that he always recommends break days during the week for ADHD meds, like a lot of people take med breaks on weekends. Another consideration is meds like adderall/ritalin can impact sleep and make those mood swings worse. A lot of people take melatonin or other meds to help with sleep when taking stimulants.

Your prescriber is the most important person to talk to about this, though! Keep in mind everyone’s needs are different, and make sure to talk to your prescriber about any issues you are having with the meds, any changes to your dosage, or any new medications you’d want to try before implementing any changes yourself.