Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with anxiety

Hello everyone! 🙃

This week, I was finally diagnosed with ADHD 🙌🏻, which was really important for me because I finally understand what’s happening with me! At the same time, I’m also dealing with anxiety and depression. Sometimes, the anxiety is so overwhelming that I feel like I can’t go on like this. I feel so bad that I don’t know what to do.

My doctor recommended a couple of books on coping with anxiety. But most of the exercises are focused on concentration. For example, one of them requires focusing only on your breathing and not thinking about anything else. This seems impossible for me and just drives me crazy 😣. My mind is constantly racing with thoughts that I can’t stop for even a second.

Has anyone else faced a similar problem? How do you stop the flow of thoughts during anxiety? How do you relax?

I also have a question: how do you manage to get rid of anxiety and stress in crowded places or at work? Basically, when you’re not alone.

I’d really appreciate your answers 🙏🏻.

easyScarf7950 2 days ago

Hi! I don't know much about anxiety, but there are guided meditations that you can try that would train you to let thoughts pass by as you breathe deeply and listen. I used guided meditations in the Calm app, but you might be able to find some elsewhere, maybe on YouTube.

Another thing you can try is keeping a notebook and pen close by and "brain dumping," or writing down your thoughts as they come.

easyScarf7950 2 days ago

Meditation takes practice, btw. It's OK to not be able to focus right away.

goldenKitten7574 OP 10 hours ago

Yeah, I listen to meditations on YouTube🙃 sometimes I fall asleep during meditation, sometimes it doesn't work at all((( thoughts keep spinning in my head and drive me crazy. sometimes I give in and take sleeping pills.

By the way, good idea about writing down my thoughts! I'll definitely try)) Thanks!

aCalmOasis 1 day ago

@goldenKitten7574

Hi goldenkitty, I am glad to hear that your positive ADHD diagnosis has provided some relief for you. Anxiety and ADHD often have symptoms that overlap and as someone who has personally dealt with anxiety, I know how challenging it can be.

Meditation can be useful and there are many ways to meditate other than the usual ‘sit cross legged and empty your mind’ type. For me doing active body scans worked the best. You lay down when you feel anxiety coming on or are already anxious and start with your feet and work your way up with each body part until you reach your head. You are feeling for any tension that is present. When you feel tension take a deep belly breath protruding your stomach out, hold for a few seconds then release and let go of any of the tension you found in that body part. Eventually over time this creates new neural pathways to teach your body to relax whenever you have anxiety.

I recommend taking the mini course on anxiety located in the training section of your member dashboard as well for more information and tips. Hope this helps 😊 Take care!