Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trying ADHD medication

helloCucumber14 April 29th, 2021

I was diagnosed when I was 17, which is kinda late in general but actually pretty normal from what I've heard from other AFAB people...

I got diagnosed and they immediately recommended medication because I was struggling so much, even if I was performing well in school, but my parents said no, because they didn't really like the idea of their teenage child getting put on stimulants.

fast forward to college and everything gets worse but i still don't want to try meds because... what will my parents say? eventually I decided to try it anyway, because if it helped even a little bit it had to be worth it.

I'm 21, I just started my medication, and I am doing so much better on the meds than I ever could have without them. the first couple of days, the adderall actually kind of put me to sleep, and i was really tired for about 2 weeks. after that it kind of leveled out and i was, for the first time i could remember, actually in control of my own head.

If you've been thinking about trying meds, but have been scared to for whatever reason, i just wanted to provide my story as encouragement. sometimes it's scary but really really good for you. it's worth a shot!

Edited by Asherwolfice, 4/29/21

ouiCherie April 29th, 2021

Hi @helloCucumber14 thanks for the post 💜 btw, you're very welcome to join Ask Me Anything (AMA) Session for ADHD and share your thoughts and inputs.

@jovialButterfly6752 will host the session at Thurs, Apr 29th 10AM ET - Support Room. See you there?

IceCream4IceCream April 29th, 2021

@helloCucumber14

Thank you so much for sharing your story <3 Agreed 100%. sometimes medication can be really beneficial for people with ADHD. It's just like a pair of eye glasses: it will help you see better heart @ouiCherie and I would love to have you at the AMA today <3 Hope to see you there and please feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk. :)

TheJoxter April 29th, 2021

@helloCucumber14

Glad the medication is working for you! Finding the right treatment can be so important :) I'm on medication as well and as you said, I am now also in control of my thoughts. I hope it'll continue to work for you! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

sallymae3459 May 1st, 2021

@helloCucumber14 I have ADHD too and been medicated for a while now its helped me but i understand it's not for every one good luck.

alexacanhelp May 18th, 2021

@helloCucumber14 Thanks for writing this, I'm sure it will encourage many people <3