Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I never meet anyone's expectations, not even my own

FrostFeather September 26th, 2022

I recently quit my job and dropped out of college. After over a decade of struggling to get a degree, I have no interest in ever returning to college. I'm extremely burnt-out and I am now aware that I was getting bullied at work. I basically do not enjoy life at all anymore, so I decided to stop torturing myself. I don't have a clear plan of what job I want to settle on for the rest of my life, but I have an idea. It's better than staying in school, for me anyway.

It's hard enough as it is already, but now my parents are piling it on. I knew they would be angry, but I hoped they wouldn't retaliate against me. They're already threatening to throw me out. They keep insisting that I "don't know the ramifications of what I've done", which I find insulting. I told them I knew and it was a difficult decision, but I had to or I would've had a complete breakdown. I can't destroy myself as a person just for a degree. They say they had everything so much harder, how no one ever helped them succeed in life, and that I should be treated the same way. It's not fair. I have issues; I can't function on the level they can, but that doesn't matter in the real world.

My parents have this thing where they have this preconceived notion of who I am, but if I don't act consistent with that, then I am wrong about whatever, be it positive or negative. It's really suffocating. They keep saying I won't have enough money to support myself, despite the career they pre-approved to have notoriously bad pay. I think the most important thing for me is finding an actual job, not a degree, that I can tolerate. They just refuse to understand, and I'm absolutely helpless.

KimByeongIn September 26th, 2022

@FrostFeather

Hey there. I can understand how you feel about your parent's words. They are demeaning you and are angry with you. Anyone would be upset in such a situation. You're not in it alone. ❤️

The struggle you have is real and should be accepted. It's not a disease so it can't be cured. It's you and your life. You have a right to choose what you want. I get that.

Although it's scary thinking of going into the world without the weapon of knowledge but just as you said, you should work a job you love, not something that was pre-approved by someone who's not you. I totally get how you're feeling and you know what? You're right.

I can understand the struggle of having difficult parents, especially the ones who refuse to accept mental health. But just know that we are all here for you. You're never alone. I have complete trust in you that you'll find the life you want, a job that you love. Don't give up even if things are hard right now. I'm with you.