Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Diagnosis

tiredBirds September 14th, 2023

Hi everyone, I've been researching ADHD for two years now and I think I might have it. I have taken this up with my mom but she said something about my brother (diagnosed with autism) being born with neurodivergency because "she wasn't supported enough during her pregnancy," whatever that means. Is there any way I could talk to her about my concerns in a civil, convincing way?

selfconfidentTiger8983 September 14th, 2023
Choose a calm moment to discuss your feelings and research on ADHD. Share specific symptoms you've noticed in yourself. Provide brief facts about ADHD to clear misconceptions. Acknowledge her feelings about your brother's autism diagnosis. Ask for her support in seeking a professional opinion.
tiredBirds OP September 14th, 2023

@selfconfidentTiger8983 thank you for the tips : ]

Bndonovan02 September 21st, 2023

That’s a hard conversation, no doubt about it. I was diagnosed at 34 and when I told my parents, I was so anxious. The things that helped our conversation were explaining to my parents not only what ADHD really is, but what it means for me in my day to day life. I also gave them examples of how they can help me when we are together so we don’t just get frustrated with each other. I reminded them that it was nothing they did and it’s not their fault I wasn’t diagnosed earlier. None of us really had any idea what ADHD really was until I seriously looked into a diagnosis and was finally diagnosed.

I’m also now more direct with them when it comes to any of my “quirks” or if I’m upset about something. I’m lucky that I have a good relationship with my parents and we can have open communication. I hope it goes well for you. All the hugs and good thoughts 💜💜