Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

10 minutes at a time

asgoodasitgets March 11th, 2015

I go through patterns of being healthy and great, and then go through times where it is a struggle to get out of bed and get dressed for the day.

Sometimes I wish someone would give me an instruction manual on what to do each day so that I knew what was important and could complete those tasks.

I have OCD and ADD. I am all over the place with my ADD but once I get locked onto something my OCD takes over and I can spend hours doing one activity that should have only taken 10minutes.

So here is my suggestion and I am hoping others out there will encourage me. I would like to start a thread where people share their accomplishments for the day. Big or little, doesn't matter.

You can put things like, I got out of bed and took a shower, or I painted a whole room today. I made dinner and got all the dishes done! Or just anything to keep each other motivated. Sometimes the hardest part of getting out of my slump is figuring out what I need to do, so that I can make myself get up and do it.

Focus on 10 minutes, what can you do in 10 minutes? What can I do that will help myself or my family in just 10 minutes? What can I do that will help myself get ready for tomorrow, or be ahead for tomorrow in just 10 minutes? What can I do for 10 minutes that will make me feel better?

Anyone up for it?

braveTree6230 March 11th, 2015

I like your idea a lot. I am the same way in many aspects.

generousApricot24 March 11th, 2015

great idea!

great idea!

asgoodasitgets OP March 11th, 2015

So I will start it off. I got ready for the day, ate breakfast (that is big for me, I usually skip it), and made 1 phone call that I had been putting off. :-)

good start :D. I'm proud of you!

asgoodasitgets OP March 11th, 2015

So I will start it off. I got ready for the day, ate breakfast (that is big for me, I usually skip it), and made 1 phone call that I had been putting off. :-)

cliffdweller March 12th, 2015

Hello friend. I would like to be of help here so while I cannot know your exact struggle I do relate to aspects of what you are going through. I have been contained in debilitating PTSD and am very isolated and alone. I find what works magically for me is routine. I stick to doing some things each day. I set the clock for this so when it goes off I feel asense of purpose as I compete my tasks. I incorporate new things randomly based on need and want and factor into my routine which I plan the day before. I always make sure that somewhere in the day there is a reward.

This puts me out in the world with things to get done and it also allows me to be a part of the social dynamics and connect with people.

niceMoon4358 March 22nd, 2015

Today I wrote some for my therapy appointment, I've stayed out of my bed so far, and I haven't punched anything yet....

Roadie March 23rd, 2015

I like this idea, @asgoodasitgets

It's a touch of genius. I'm in as well! :)

mndrz2010 March 23rd, 2015

Love this idea. I recently had a listener tell me two things that have really stuck with me.

He said that any progress is a victory. It's about winning the little battles and soon enough you'llrealize those little battles turn into the big ones that seemed so impossible before.

UnicornLove March 23rd, 2015

I joined 7 cups of tea today! :)

March 24th, 2015

One little thing I did yesterday that only took 10 minutes was that I was able to FINALLY get out the depression and self-esteem book I bought so that I can start working through it.