Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My best friend is a recovering addict.

beonehuman July 25th, 2018

My best friend is a recovering addict.

I'm very worried about him. I've known him for a year. In this year, I've seen him high three times. I've watched the pain it seems he is in after coming down and from withdrawal. I've stayed by his side, cared for him, loved him through it all. I've been there for a year of lies, and a year of beautiful experiences. It is all worth it. He is my best friend.

We became very close. Tried to date for about two months. We broke up because while we loved each other we both had a lot of things to work through and heal from before it would be healthy to be in a relationship. We became even closer.

Then about 1.5 weeks ago he stopped talking to me. He thinks I'm reading into it. I think he's going through another cycle. And it scares me.

I've seen him high and come down from a high and have withdrawal symptoms.... Three times in the last year that I've known them. And I don't know how much he has used when I haven't been around.

Last night I finally got a chance to see him and he was acting strange. I asked if he was using drugs and he said he wasn't. Later on we were talking about life things and out of no where he said he couldn't be exclusive or honest to me. We aren't even dating for exclusivity to be on the table but he always calls me his best friend and I think of him as mine so honesty should feel natural I would think.

He kept walking around and starting one thing and then getting distracted and going to the next. He was scratching a bit. I asked him again if he was using. He said no. Walked out of the room to go smoke. He came back and that's when we saw police lights outside his apartment complex.

I've never seen him like this. He got in my face and accused me of calling the cops. Of course I didn't. But he became very paranoid for the rest of the evening.

So last night I found out he was seeing two women, doesn't feel he needs to be exclusive, doesn't feel he needs to be honest, became paranoid and got in my face when the police were at his apartment complex for another emergency with a resident in another building shortly after I had asked if he was using drugs again because he couldn't sit still and kept scratching and he is not talking to me.

And I love him. I am on the fence in what to do.

Give him space he may need? He did say he felt like I was smothering him. Piece together his words whether rightfully or not and wonder if his behavior, his sudden paranoia and his mention of not being able to be honest might indicate something of concern...

I'm not sure what I can do.

lovelyWhisper66 July 25th, 2018

@beonehuman Hi there, thanks so much for your post; I really appreciate you opening up to us. I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with your friendship. It sounds like you two have a close bond, so I can only imagine how much it hurts to see your friend in this situation. You are a fantastic, loving person for still being there for him despite all that has happened.

Given what has happened, I understand your uncertainty on what to do next. It is nice that you consider what he said to you. How are you coping with what has been happening? It helps to consider your options and weigh the pros and cons of each. Whatever you decide to do, I am sure you will do so with the best intentions. Addiction can definitely strain relationships, but it does not necessarily have to break them entirely. If you ever need to talk with someone, feel free to reach out to the listeners here. Best wishes, and I hope things go well for you and your friend.

beonehuman OP July 25th, 2018

@lovelyWhisper66

Thank you for your kindness. I am trying to reach out for support. I am considering finding programs, online or in person, that may help me better understand how to approach addiction recovery. I need to practice better self care. I do. And it does hurt to feel him distance himself from me yet I hope it is temporary. I'm more concerned about his safety and well being. And just what I can do to support him on this path.

lovelyWhisper66 July 25th, 2018

@beonehuman I am proud that you are reaching out to further understand addiction recovery and that self care ought to be a focus for you. You have a good heart. However, it is hard to care for others if we don't care for ourselves.

We have a self help guide on 7Cups that includes drug addiction; feel free to check it out here. 7Cups Guide

In addition, we have a forum thread dedicated to resources for friends and family of those dealing with addiction
Resources for Family and Friends

You can always reach out to the listeners here if you ever need someone to chat with. We hope to hear from you; feel free to keep us updated on how you and your friend are doing. Best wishes, and I know that you will come out strong.