Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Fixing the wedge

impartialWheel5446 August 2nd, 2021

So the love of my life is an alcoholic. Alcohol has driven a wedge between us and I dare not give him an ultimatum either me or the alcohol because I feel like he will pick alcohol. At the rate he drinks I fear it's going to kill him. I'm so heartbroken. I love him so much, I just wish I could stop this...

Cherryblossom000 August 2nd, 2021

Hi there, I’m so sorry to hear this. Is he open to getting help? Or is he kind of in a denial/ self destruct mode? I think giving him an ultimatum wouldn’t be the best approach. I did this myself with my partner who was addicted to gambling and it made things worse because it put too much pressure on him. I know drastic measures seem to be the obvious answer for you right now, but you sound like you will do anything to help him, so maybe seeking professional help might be the answer? I don’t know your circumstances but maybe ask him if you can be in charge of his money? So that he isn’t able to actually buy alcohol for himself. If he’s an addict there’s going to come a point where he will suffer from withdrawal, you won’t be able to cope by yourself with this. Make sure you have support yourself, and if it needs be, take him to the hospital where they can advise you more and help him. I hope everything works out, keep strong for yourself and him. There will be a deep rooted reason why he drinks, so getting talking therapy for him could be the key! X

impartialWheel5446 OP August 3rd, 2021

Good news :) He asked me to help him research recovery options. We had a long talk, that he initiated, and he said that he feels ready to make changes...not just for me, but mainly for himself. This gave me a renewed boost in my fight for him.

Cherryblossom000 August 3rd, 2021

That’s amazing ! What a brave step he has taken. And a weight off your mind that he has become open to explore help and getting better! Keep being that positive voice of reason for him ! :)