Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Addiction with donating money

AdamEmb April 27th, 2019

So for about 6 years now I've had a real big issue with money. I make really good money but have nothing to show for it. I don't even use it on myself (for the most part).

I had a huge with with health anxiety from a ton of physical symptoms that kept me inside. So I was bored and started going to sites that at least had some people on them just so I can keep being somewhat social. Found some broadcaster streams playing games and such and just enjoying my time for a bit.

I was watching one streamer while he was having a small meltdown worried about bills and such. So I figured I'd help him out. I threw $200 at them and I haven't seen some cry so hard over that EVER. They were just shocked. It made me feel insanely good inside. That's where it all started.

I just found myself jumping around to random broadcasters who I enjoyed and just drop bombs on their channel. It turned into an addiction. I was always feeling so low and now I found something that made me feel so good inside. Helping people who really needed it.

But now with this addiction I've maxed out 3 credit cards with decent credit lines and I'm struggling with just keeping up with bills. I shouldn't even be close to this position for what I make at my job. I know I might have to just leave but now I have a lot of good friends out of the deal also (ones that I haven't even helped out in years. Not the ones that wanna be my friend in hopes for more money, haha.)

Now I see these maxed out credit cards and even if I stopped with the donations it's still going to take me like 2 years to pay them off. So I look at that number, feeling that's too long and get discouraged. How do I snap out of this? Or do I need to just leave that community all together?

Things I've already tried bt maybe didn't try hard enough.

• Created a new checking account and after each paycheck I have it auto transfer some money in there strictly for spending only. But found that it was too each to just transfer more money into it manually afraid I'll overdraft and have to pay the bank more money.
• Put the credit cards in my safe.. Even put it in a block of ice. But then I really need it for some unexpected charges (truck breaks down, home appliances)

• Deleted the credit cards from my PayPal.

• Cut up a couple of them to never be able to use but I find I'm just sticking to the minimum payments on those since I can't access them anymore.

I think I need someone to just slap some sense into me. I always worry that something bad with happen to me and now my Mom is stuck with MY mess. That's not fair to anybody. Thanks!

AffyAvo April 27th, 2019

It sounds like there's 2 issues to deal with.

1) The addiction and 2) the debt/financial aspect

For the addiction aspect would you find just stopping altogether for now too difficult to do without a specific plan? Perhaps reminding yourself that you're not actually using your money when you're donating now, as you're in debt, your using someone else's money to give to this people that you will eventually have to pay back. An accountability partner may help too - there are multiple subcommunities that will offer these or you can seek out a listener for this purpose, or find someone in your life who would be willing to help you out with this.

There are ways to be kind to others that are free - something as simple as a compliment can go a long way. Hold the door for someone - little things that do no harm to you.

For the debt 2 common methods that people will often use are the snowball method and the avalanche method. It's pretty easy to find details with a good search. Quick rundown - both involve paying the minimum payments on all debts, as not doing so will just create issues. Consolidation to lower interest amounts can be used too - although watch the details as some consolidation options have timeframes before the interest skyrockets. Make a budget and determine how much you can put towards paying off your debt. Once you factor in the minimum payments take all the extra in your debt repayment allotment and

- for the snowball put it towards your smallest credit card. Once that's paid off, the payments beyond the minimum go to the next smallest, etc. This can be good for motivation as your number of creditors get knocked down.

- for the avalanche method put it towards the debt with the highest interest rate. Once that's paid off, the payments beyond the minimum go to the next highest interest rate account, etc. This will work faster than the snowball method.

Of course, these methods only work if you're not spending more than you're making. Just because you have cut up a card shouldn't prevent you from doing more than a minimum payment on the credit card account unless they are set up vastly different from what I have - I don't need my cards to make a payment to the account. Going over your initial plan and then reviewing your statements monthly with your accountability partner may help.

Once the debt is paid off then if you feel you are able to handle it appropriately you can make donations with your own money. Budgeting for donations can help you from going into debt. Depending on how you feel your donations do the best work and what keeps your addiction managed you might consider doing planned donations only to charities, or doing donations to the broadcasts without going over your budget, or a combination of both where you plan out specificially what portion will be for charities and what for broadcasts. If you find that donating is just too difficult to do responsibly though, that's ok too.

AdamEmb OP May 5th, 2019

@AffyAvo

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. After reading through i think ill be looking to go the avalanche method. I think i just get so overwhelmed at how long this might take i just say screw it and make it worse since it feels good to donate.

I feel that if i get myself going the right direction I probably will get my butt away from the donations scene. Ive done my fair share of it. If i donate anything it'll be either my time or stuff around my house that I dont need or use. (Clothes, older electronics, etc).

Ill definitely try to find someone who will help keep me accountable. I think thats going to be a big one. Its easy to fall back into it.

Not going to lie, i might give my mom rights to my bank account and change the password on me so i cant go in and move money around anymore. Every 2 weeks on paycheck day it will auto transfer so much into my second account and thats it for me. Cut the other cards up. And if i overdraft then thats how i learn. No more transferring more money into the account.