Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Being an Active Listener (Self Esteem Challenge)

CheeryMango August 17th, 2021

Hello everyone!

Welcome to Day 10 of our Self-Esteem Icebreakers in celebration of the 30 Day Self-Esteem Challenge across the community.

Today's theme is "Being An Active Listener".

What does it feel like when someone really listens to you?

Click HERE to look out for more Self Esteem Challenge Icebreakers
Click HERE to find the Self-Esteem group support sessions schedule for the month
11820Read August 17th, 2021

I feel that I am cared about.

EveryMindMatters August 17th, 2021

It makes me feel special and that there is someone who truly cares about me

cheerfulIceCream August 17th, 2021
When someone close to me (because I'm numb to feeling it from outside people in general 💀) REALLY listen to me, I feel loved and cared for, like everything's merry. 🥺
cheerfulIceCream August 17th, 2021
When someone close to me (because I'm numb to feeling it from outside people in general 💀) REALLY listen to me, I feel loved and cared for, like everything's merry. 🥺
turquoiseWheel1305 August 17th, 2021

I feel understood. And valued. And safe.

mytwistedsoul August 17th, 2021

That I matter and that someone actually cares about my thoughts and feelings

PeaceLoveandPaws August 17th, 2021

@CheeryMango

I feel relieved because I'm able to express my thoughts and feelings freely. Like a weight off my shoulders has been lifted.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou August 17th, 2021

@CheeryMango

Feels good being heard and acknowledged , cared for and less alone .

Everyone's got a story to tell, all they now need is someone to listen 🌻

AMomentInTime1830 August 17th, 2021

When someone really listens it leaves you feeling heard and cared for. It lets you know you aren't alone, and don't have to bear the weight by yourself

Helloehelloe August 17th, 2021

Idk if it’s just in my mind or not but I can spot if a person is not listening to me with the same enthusiasm and energy. when i feel truly listened to, it feels like there’s someone who actually acknowledges and validates my emotions and whatever i have to share, i really feel secure, safe and like i can trust them

niceForest5626 August 17th, 2021

@CheeryMango

I feel loved, important and appreciated.

Torean August 17th, 2021

@CheeryMango

It feels like actually getting to connect and get an opportunity to grow and learn from each other. It can also feel like establishing a friendship or alliance.

August 17th, 2021

@CheeryMango

It scares the crap out of me and most of the rest of us, if anyone does really want to listen, ever. It is not normal for me or for most of us at all. Life has always been about listening to others, helping them, and NEVER letting anyone know about me or us one bit. It is awful if someone really wants to listen. We often leave on purpose. Have to can not deal with this

mytwistedsoul August 18th, 2021

@Amelia2324 It's hard to believe that anyone actually cares isn't it? Some times you can't help but wonder if they're just being nice because it's what's expected of them, that they're being nice for the sake of being nice.

August 18th, 2021

@mytwistedsoul

crying very true

Solome24 August 17th, 2021

When someone really listens to me I feel respected and it kind of warms my heart lol

reginleifValkyrie August 17th, 2021

Like I don't need to hide all the time.

crimsonChestnut5482 August 17th, 2021

@CheeryMango
I feel valued and that that person understands what I am saying.

SeriouslyLey123 August 17th, 2021
@CheeryMango
I feel human and as if Im cared and loved.
Sighna August 17th, 2021

I feel satisfied someone seems to actually care about meangel

mobteru August 18th, 2021

@CheeryMango it feels great! a lot of my life, i haven't really been listened to or taken seriously so it really means a lot to me when someone does really listen

Star996 August 18th, 2021

@CheeryMango

I feel cherished, loved, respected, happy, and relaxed. Being heard is so good. I think everyone should get a chance to be heard! Hugs to everyone! ❤️❤️❤️

greenYard2803 August 18th, 2021

@CheeryMango being accepted

SoulPitstop August 18th, 2021

Most of the time, we are sharing our personal to the strangers but not ready to talk about it with our family. It's our practise that human beings always want to test with someone they don't know to make it a secret as they are being trained in conveying things to others better than before. Practise to keep silence inside before makingng decisions and make conversations with family. If you have no just one trustworthy person, then you are living in the wrong way. Learn to unlearn things change your past. It's not late. Start to open up with your family. If family is the problem, then you are in a hurry to find good hands nearby instead talking with strangers all the time. Life is unique when you found/find it. All the best enjoy.

sia1325 August 18th, 2021

When someone really listens, it feels good more of our feelings being recognized and also that we are valued and cared for! (:

VioletSpringGlade August 19th, 2021

I feel accepted, welcome, loved, acknowledged, relieved, nourished, supported, valued. There is a good connection that feels nice. I feel more confident in communicating, it alleviates fears I have around communicating.

Meredith1976 August 19th, 2021

@CheeryMango It feels like someone loves me when they really listen to me

crimsonChestnut5482 August 20th, 2021

@Meredith1976
It's nice to feel loved that way. I concur!

bluesunflower04 September 8th, 2021

@Meredith1976 do you want to feel loved? I am here for you

rosebeinghappy18 August 19th, 2021

@CheeryMango

I feel like I can survive anything if somebody listens to me. I do not have anyone who would listen to me without judging. So, yeah, whenever somebody listens, I feel like I can survive anything.

crimsonChestnut5482 August 20th, 2021

@rosebeinghappy18
I never thought about it that way. I like your feeling.

rosebeinghappy18 August 20th, 2021

@crimsonChestnut5482
Thank you Crimson, yeah. Actually, nobody listens to me, so, whenever somebody listens to me here, I feel, like I can survive.

kiwifruit99 August 19th, 2021

It makes me feel seen, can help me feel more calm and safe. I don't always feel that way, or like people in my life always make the effort to really hear what I want to say, so when it does happen, it feels really good.

easyTown5832 August 19th, 2021

It really depends, unlike many on here I don't really feel that different even if someone is super empathetic and caring. The only thing that really catches my eyes is when someone listens and replies with a logical tip or solution for the problem. Though there are times where if someone listens to me rant or vent without coming in to judge me like the rest, I will feel as though a weight has been lifted from my chest. And to add to that, even if I still overall dont get much out of it, I know the listener means well and has good intentions, plus they help people which makes me think maybe theres still some hope out there for humanity.

lazyKatz August 19th, 2021

I have spoke to a listener who was really helpful and understanding I felt grateful to have met them. Just lately they have stopped answering me. I'm wondering if I'd done anything to upset them if I have it was not intended. I miss having someone to share private feelings with.

LovetoGod August 20th, 2021

@CheeryMango
It feels really good, cared, loved when someone listen us. Talking can surely make someone better and when someone listen it feels less lonely and it's like there is someone for us ❤

kindLemonade August 20th, 2021

@CheeryMango

It feels like I am respected, heard, cared for, and embraced. It feels like my thoughts and feelings matter. I gain confidence and peace if I'm really being listened to!

greenYard2803 August 20th, 2021

@CheeryMango being valued

miichiie August 21st, 2021

It makes me feel suddenly nervous, but then kinda special.

AriadneLove August 21st, 2021

@CheeryMango What does it feel like when someone really listens to you?
I feel heard, I feel like It is Ok to be the one an epicentre for a moment and the person is genuinely interested, that I am not stealing their time, it helped me to open up (I usually feel guilty hen sharing for taking someones time).