Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

LGBTQ+ - Help us create paths!

Heather225 March 4th, 2021

Hi everyone! Have you had a chance to try out our new Community Paths yet? If not, please check out what our community has contributed so far!

We did a survey a couple of weeks ago where we asked what kind of growth paths you all would like to see. One of the top requested categories is LGBTQ+.

Glen has been creating a confidence and self-esteem path with the help of our community! Not only does this help to create well-rounded paths but also helps us collectively learn and get used to the idea of creating paths/steps.

What paths would you like to see created under the LGBTQ umbrella? What issues do you want to address? These can be personal experiences, things people have said to us, books or ideas we have come across, talks or short videos we have found on YouTube, images that speak to us etc.

To collaborate, please head over to this thread where the wonderful LGBTQ+ / MOGII Subcom folks are working on capturing and expanding on the many issues/topics encompassing the LGBTQ spectrum!

March 5th, 2021

@Heather225

I think some important topics might be Acceptance (like accepting yourself or accepting loved ones who identify within the community), Grief (like grieving the loved ones you may lose from your life either temporarily or more permanently when you come out because this type of grief differs from what we usually think of when speaking about grief), and maybe Motivation/Perseverance (to push forward through obstacles and pushback, to continue on your journey and path, etc.).

Check out the Family & Caregivers Subcommunity

Listeningsarinn March 5th, 2021

@Heather225

hey H! Thanks alot for this post and for starting the discussion on this!

You may also want to check and subscribe to this thread where i asked the same questions to lgbtq + subcomm users!

Heather225 OP March 5th, 2021

@Listeningsarinn

Thank you!! So we have community input in one place, I just linked to your thread in this post and will be sending people your way! Can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Listeningsarinn March 6th, 2021

@Heather225

sounds good! Super excited about this path and We will appreciate all the input *~*

peachBeach6969 March 15th, 2021

@Heather225 Be really nice if listener's were more accepting of those older who are gay also. Many seen stumped by that.

quickwittedclementine5253 March 15th, 2021

Acceptance, definitely. I identify as asexual and aromantic, and some LGBT people don't consider us part of the umbrella when we are. I think it's hard to be accepted by society as a whole, regardless of where on the spectrum one identifies.

Also, self-truth. It's easy to be in denial about who you are at the beginning and for several years after that. Can I really be LGBTQIA? Maybe it's my health? Could I really be? Self-truth and self-acceptance tie in together.

Listeningsarinn March 16th, 2021

@quickwittedclementine5253

hey there❤️ Thanks alot for bringing up the topics that stand out to you in importance, ace/aro spectrums are a huge and important part of lgbtq+ family 💜🤍🖤Acceptence by community, self truth and self acceptance are all topics that we are working on tho if you have any specific ideas on what kind of content (exersices/recources/ pics or videos/ reminders and affirmations/...), these steps can have, specially about self truth and self acceptance, all ideas and feedback will be appreciated ^^

quickwittedclementine5253 March 20th, 2021

@Listeningsarinn

Today is Shabbat, but once the Shabbat is over, I will sit down and think of some resources to share.

Listeningsarinn March 20th, 2021

@quickwittedclementine5253

Will love yo hear from you whenever that works best for you and you have time ♡

Anxietyxxxx March 15th, 2021

@Heather225

I feel like an important topic is dealing with homophobic/ transphobic people.

@Anxietyxxxx

hey❤️ Thanks for sharing ^^ that definietly is! Even if i wish it wasn't thru almost all of us under the lgbtq+ umbrella face homo/trans/acephobia at some point and having ways to cope, manage and also stay safe thru it are important to know 🌈 tho if you have any ideas on what specific steps on this topic could look like and what content they could have, i'll love to hear from you about it ^^ this content can be either recources, exercises, prompt questions to answer, helpful pics or videos, reminders and affirmations, or basically anything you've personally found helpful when dealing with homo/transphobia

thebeigescrunchie March 15th, 2021

As someone else mentioned, I think it’s really important to recognize those lesser-known identities such as Asexual/Agender/Aromantic, Pansexual, Etc. (Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head). I know for a fact that the asexual and aromantic communities get a lot of backlash for their identities and there is constant discourse about whether they belong in the LGBTQ+ community (gatekeeping). As someone who identifies as Asexual and Aromantic, for example, I find it very difficult to trust that groups and places like 7cups will be truly accepting and non-judgemental about my sexual/romantic orientations (so it’s great to see this conversation being had!). So I think overall just letting newcomers know they all 100% welcome and acknowledged/accepted here.

@thebeigescrunchie

hey hey🌈 thanks a lot for sharing you view and thoughts i'm sure that it will be of help for us *~* unfortunately i have also came accross this kind of gatekeeping in different lgbtq+ groups and places which were supposed to be safe places, i know that it can come as hurtful and disvalidating💜🤍🖤but ace/aro spectrum and all other queer identities are all welcome, accepted and aknowledged here ^^ will try our best to be as inclusive as possible with all lesser known and aknowledged identities while creating this path!

in the meanwhile, as a peer in this community,if you have any ideas on what specific steps on this topic could look like and what content they could have, i'll love to hear from you about it ^^ this content can be either recources, exercises, prompt questions to answer, helpful pics or videos, reminders and affirmations, or basically anything you've personally found helpful since questioning til now💜🤍🖤 thank you again for sharing ^^

CallmeKir March 16th, 2021

I would personally suggest something along the lines of alleviating dysphoria for trans people. It can be tough, and a little affirmation would be nice.

@CallmeKir

hey hey ^^ thanks a lot for sharing🌈 That's a great point of focus, we definietly are working on steps on dealing with dysphoria

also if you have any ideas on what specific steps on this topic could look like and what content they could have, i'll love to hear from you about it ^^ this content can be either recources, exercises, prompt questions to answer, helpful pics or videos, reminders and affirmations, or basically anything you've personally found helpful🌈🍃

MarinaGrace March 16th, 2021

A positive thread of influential and uplifting LGBTQ+ content such as articles,books,blogs etc!

@MarinaGrace

hey there *~* Thanks for sharing this, i specially find having this kind of content can help giving a feeling of belonging and validation ^^

tho if you have any more specific ideas on this such as a video/pic/meme you've seen somewhere and found helpful or gave you a positive feeling, a given article or book you think queer family would like to see in this path, i'll be more than happy to see them and here from you about it🌈❤️ (Tho please keep in mind that this content needs to stay within 7cups community guidelines)