Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My Friendship Breakup

compassionateOak202 March 28th, 2023

Hello all. I initially wanted to share my whole experience that I originally shared in another wellness community platform that my counselor referred me to, but it was hard to edit down to make it acceptable to be posted in one of the community forums here, so I'll just type it here from scratch.

I also just found this subcommunity by the way, so I figured it best fits what I want to share.

I had a mental breakdown earlier this month and lashed out at 2 people I've cared about, one of them who is now my former best friend (they/them). The other one was my significant other.

I've said a lot of bad things to them out of nowhere. Only my significant other reached out, but my former best friend did the opposite and instead took matters into their own hands and decided to unfriend/unfollow and possible block me everywhere we've been together on, including the games we used to play together almost everyday.

However, I did not find this out until actually 1-2 days after I reached out to Crisis Lifeline for the first time. I knew I needed help that day, so I made a courageous decision after realizing what I've done. After finding out about it, I ended up grieving and feeling depressed for the whole week after because they never said a word to me. I had to reach out to Crisis again because I didn't know how to cope with it.

I know I lost many friends throughout the years but this one was the most heartbreaking because we supported each other a lot and did a lot of things together. They were willing to throw more than 7 years of our friendship away and stopped talking to me because I was not okay that day.

We also had a mutual online friend who opened up to me that he was blocked and banned from communicating as well as from viewing their online streams after the incident, even though he had nothing to do with it and was never involved. I didn't understand why, but he then told me they aren't worth it anymore.

My significant other also tried to reach them by phone call several times until deciding to leave them a text message. He got a text back from them the following day that they're doing fine, as if nothing happened. He felt disappointed and didn't respond.

I didn't try to reach them out because they made that choice that I wouldn't retaliate against. And there was no point to it since they never responded and instead just block me all in one go. So that was the end of it.

I've been going through recovery ever since. I'm currently attending a recovery program that focuses on managing emotions, as well as some other resources of therapy and other wellness communities that my counselors have suggested to me. I can't afford therapy services since I lost my job and other financial difficulties, so this is the best help I could reach out to. So until now, I've been making slow and steady progress.

Some important things I learned during my recovery was not to be hard on myself, as well as not shutting the door behind me.

Anyway, I think that's all I can share for now. Thank you for reading.

zaatarHoney April 3rd, 2023

@compassionateOak202

Thank you for being here, and for taking the time to get this off your chest. Friendship break ups can be so heart-wrenching, and often— don’t get enough spotlight or recognition compared to romantic relationships. Often, what we grieve most are the emotional components of our relationships, when we’re grieving the loss of someone in our life— whether they’re passed, or moved, on.. and isn’t that usually the entire basis of a close, long-term friendship? This debilitating pain you’re going through makes sense.

Using crisis hotlines and doing what you’re able to support yourself during this time is commendable— many situations are not simple to cope with and it was not just brave, but also wise, to reach out at those moments. You deserve every ounce of support you receive, and more. Not to forget to mention, I am hearing that you’re out here being resourceful and doing what you can to invest into your mind and personal growth. I’m also hearing how you’re holding yourself accountable even while experiencing profound remorse, which isn’t easy for some to do. We all make mistakes. How we respond in the face of consequence, or in the lack thereof, shares an insight about what lay within us all.

With all of this said, I am deeply sorry for your loss. You’re always welcome here to share your truth whether l-l, in the group chats or here in the forums. Discuss your healing journey— your updates— whatever you’d like. We’re here for you.

If you’re interested in receiving a resource, otherwise feel welcome to disregard, TWLOHA helps people finding free/cost-reduced therapy in your area here: here. In the filters once you put your zipcode and what help you’re seeking in, you can check ‘free’ to see what’s available to you locally if you’d like to find somewhere offline to receive help. This isn’t 7C approved I don’t believe, but on a crisis platform I also volunteer on this is a resource we routinely share with others as local mental health providers aren’t often accessible, or don’t always appear to be. To any forum moderators, if this share isn’t allowed, please feel welcome to edit this part out— and in that event, I apologize.

Take care, Zaati ⟡

compassionateOak202 OP April 3rd, 2023

Thank you so much for your kind words. It’s only been week since I’ve came back to this platform, and I’m glad I did. I hope to continue sharing my recovery journey throughout these forums and through group chats as well as listeners. And also thank you for sharing an additional resource as well, I appreciate it a lot. 💖

compassionateOak202 OP April 14th, 2023

Here's an update I have that is related to this thread.

Willing To Make Amends (My Friendship Breakup Pt. 2)

https://www.7cups.com/forum/RelationshipSupport_66/Friendships_256/WillingToMakeAmendsMyFriendshipBreakupPt2_303117/