Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Thoughtful Thursday: Loneliness

QuietMagic December 2nd, 2021

duhkha-poem.jpg

What is loneliness

Loneliness is when we are receiving less connection with others than what we want to receive.

• Loneliness is not the same thing as being alone. It is possible to be surrounded by people and still feel lonely. It is possible to be alone and not feel lonely.
  • Loneliness is related to the quality of relationships. It is possible to have many relationships but still feel lonely if those connections don’t feel meaningful, authentic, or like you are able to confide your feelings in those people.
  • Loneliness is painful. Research has shown that it activates the same parts of the brain as when we experience physical pain.
  • Loneliness has health effects. People who are lonely experience similar effects as people suffering from other types of stress. They have increased levels of the stress hormones cortisol and epinephrine, which can lead to less restful sleep, high blood pressure, inflammation, and weakened immunity.
  • Loneliness can create a feedback loop. People who are chronically lonely tend to be more vigilant to the risk of being rejected by others, more likely to expect social interactions to be unfulfilling, more likely to notice negative signals in relationships, and more likely to interpret neutral signals in relationships as being negative.

Loneliness and personality disorders

People with personality disorders are more likely to experience loneliness for a few reasons:

• People with personality disorders may have a unique perspective on the world that leads to feelings of isolation
  • People with personality disorders may be more likely to respond to others in ways that unintentionally push others away
  • People with personality disorders may have difficulty with intimacy in relationships (i.e. vulnerability, openness, and sharing)

Tips for loneliness

Here are some ideas for increasing connections with others:

• Try talking with a nearby stranger in a public space, even if it's only for 30 seconds
  • Allow some time for conversations to unfold and evolve before deciding they aren't worthwhile.
  • Try to schedule face-to-face interactions with friends and family.
  • If in-person interactions with people aren't possible, video calls or phone calls can help maintain a sense of connection.
  • If using social media, try to focus on meaningful personal connections with smaller groups of people
  • Spend time with neighbors
  • Invite other people to eat together
  • Participate in expressive or creative activities with others (e.g. music, arts and crafts, dancing, etc.)
  • Talk about feelings of loneliness with other people
  • Physical touch can reduce feelings of loneliness (e.g. hugging, holding hands, etc.)

Here are some ideas for self-care things you can do if you aren’t able to connect with someone else:

• Wrap yourself in a blanket
  • Distract with an activity you enjoy (e.g. watching a TV show you like)
  • Write your feelings down
  • Listen to music you enjoy
  • Write a comforting letter to the part of yourself that is feeling lonely
  • Cuddle a pet or something else soft

Questions

1) Is loneliness something you experience frequently?

2) What do you find helpful when you’re feeling lonely?

Sources:

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-deal-with-loneliness

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/loneliness

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/201803/cure-disconnection

https://psychcentral.com/pro/exhausted-woman/2020/06/how-loneliness-manifests-in-personality-disorders

https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychpedia/intimacy

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/borderline-personality-disorder-bpd/self-care-for-bpd/

@Adeline12345 @ahhhhelpimalive @AlfAndthemachine @Alwaysinpyjamas @ambitiousVase1322 @amicableDime9946 @arbanon @ARC80 @AutumnLauren6 @autumnthemoth @Avocado22 @azuladragon34 @berrymimi @bestcase @caringPerspective41 @CheerySandi @ChristmasGift @cyanPlatypus6370 @dagaz13th @DamagedOne13 @dberryy @DoggoMom @ebonyyyblondie89 @EddaLayla @emerijourney @EmotionalNerd @Everythingisbetterinyourpyjamas @fireyseastar97 @FloweringBunny @Goldcherry2113 @GrahZeymahzin @GRAPSPRO2033 @GreenScarab @Hadeel96 @HashiramaNinja @heartycitrus @Hyacinth22 @ImaginativePenny152 @indigoCup1959 @intelligentWheel627 @Irishrose78 @itsmeow @Jish07541 @JoniGirl @K87 @kindTurtle3738 @LadyNikita @LavenderFlower @Lemino @LightsFromDark @LiliTwolsky @limeRaspberries2286 @lovelyWords13 @LoveTracker @MeeshyRB @MelG919 @missg @Mkmultra @munchiegoosie @nervoussmiles @Nubia87 @OneErased @optimisticMagic0014 @OrangePeel24 @Oxymoron6demon @passionateJackfruit5095 @Piggy @placidShade4261 @Pointlesswords @QueenBee03 @QuietMagic @racqueldawn @raininglillies13 @Red789 @RelaxedPanda @RemorseCode2 @Rex0911 @selfdisciplinedBunny232 @ShyCat1678201 @spectacularCandy9984 @Stardew3 @Starilus @StrangeKat @sunflower2480 @Tamy4210 @toucans @Triscups @uniqueRose1689 @versatilePomegranate60 @WalkingCrow @Xe @YourCaringConfidant
sunnyWriting4806 December 4th, 2021

Wonderfully said @QuietMagic!

1. I think I find myself lonely frequently because I find myself so busy with work for the past year. I love the way you mentioned that even when you're not alone you can still feel lonely. I totally feel that. On surface I have so many good and caring friends around me who I know would show care to me if I needed it. Yet sometimes I can't help but feel lonely sometimes even when they are there.

2 Something that helps me during lonely times is to realize that there are people who care and love me for who I am. My mother for example is a great anchor I have to know that if the world was against me, she'd be there for me 100%. Having a conversation with my mother over the phone always lifts my spirits and gives me confidence to continue throughout my day.

Thanks for sharing!

QuietMagic OP December 6th, 2021

@sunnyWriting4806

That makes sense that if you haven't been able to spend as much time with people because of being busy, it might feel like you're missing having that support/connection.

That sounds wonderful having your mother there and being able to talk to her. 💜 And just knowing that there are people who love you who you'd be able to reach out to if you desperately needed.

crang17 December 11th, 2021

@sunnyWriting4806

It is great that even if you feel lonely now, you are aware of the people who care about you. It is understandable when we still feel lonely even if other people are around us, but I am glad that you know how to manage the feeling of loneliness now.

sereneButton43 December 5th, 2021

@QuietMagic Thank you for the amazing thread! I find that it's really helpful to just understand loneliness as distinct from being alone- that you can feel alone even when you have friends.

1) Is loneliness something you experience frequently?

Not lately but I have had felt so for a long time before.

2) What do you find helpful when you’re feeling lonely?

Reaching out to acquaintances randomly and getting to know about their day always helps. Even if we end up talking about random things, that works.

QuietMagic OP December 6th, 2021

@sereneButton43

Glad you liked it! 💜 I've had the same experience that sometimes just random conversations with people I know about everyday things can fill that void enough that I feel like my tank is full.

Jish07541 December 14th, 2021

@QuietMagic

You really gave me a lot of practical solutions to deal wit the ever frequent loneliness I feel. Thank you Magic

QuietMagic OP December 14th, 2021

@Jish07541

I'm glad it felt helpful. 💜