Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mindfulness and Yoga: What is the Connection?

blitheSun94 July 17th, 2016

Namaste.

At your request I am thrilled to explore this topic!

I think most of us can agree that there is a deeply held connection between mindfulness, meditation, and yoga. The three could even be considered versatile and interchangable. When I first starting searching for the benefits of mindfulness I would do silly things like trying to find a spot in this world that is completely silent (you'll soon realize as I did that this is utterly impossible), or feeling that I should be in a certain pose when my mindfulness practice took place. Or that I should reserve this time for right before bed. However, the truth is that mindfulness can be practiced anywhere. any time, by anyone. For example, I practice walking meditation at work and do some of my best work while sitting in the shower. It's simplicity is what makes it so beneficial to simply acknowledge, allow, and honor our thoughts, feeling, and physical being. To breathe, to appreciate, to offer self care. We are busy beings and for many of us, the art of slowing down requires a lot of practice. This is where making time for myself has been on the biggest game changers in my life.

While I was in therapy we completed a pie chart that reflected the way we managed our time in one day. I noticed quickly that I lost half my day to work and sleep. The rest was reserved for motherhood, being a wife, & a student. I learned quickly that there was maybe one tiny sliver of an hour each day that I utilized for myself and even then it didn't really consist of healthy options. This lack of self care reflected in the harsh judgment I would pass on myself, & the distress and complete lack of confidence I experienced in my life at the time. Suddenly, the clarity washed over the overwhelming stress in an awesome wave. By taking 20 mintues, 30 minutes, 45 minutes or an hour to return to and care for yourself it allows you to better serve those you love, & balance your obligations in a healthy way. I found this in 30-60 minutes of yoga each night. During this time I trust my husband to attend to our home and son and really allow this time to be for me. I often reflect in my research and reading & in my journal to better record my road toward wellness.

That said, there is a definite relationship between mindfulness, physicality, and overall wellness. It seems yoga is a great time to work in mindfulness as this is generally a soothing time consisting of deep breathing exercises and big stretching motions. However, even in these calming times, or instances of difficult resistance training, we can become distracted or noncommital in our psychological experience. So, what has your relationship to mindfulness and yoga been like?

Meanwhile, enjoy this short excerpt that will offer some perspective on the mind set you have when you begin any task in general, and yoga specifically. I got a good chuckle out of it.

"...You

GetTalking July 17th, 2016

This was actually pretty good, thanks for taking the time to write this :)

blitheSun94 OP July 19th, 2016

@GetTalking

Thank you for reading. I enjoy the link between spirituality and movement.