Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to take that first step into mindfulness?

RumpleSteeleSkin September 17th, 2017

Image result for TAKING THAT FIRST STEP

How do you know where to start?

What do you do?

Which one is right for you?

"I wanted to know it all, to find the fast track secret!"

What I discovered is that there are many ways to catch a snake! The deeper you look, the deeper it seems to go, and you can soon lose sight of the simplistic nature of this practice. For someone who just starting out on mindfulness it can certainly bring on curiousity as well as fear. Where should I start? What do I need to know? What should I concentrate on?

Enjoy breathing, my friend! Just enjoy breathing.

Its the simplest yet most difficult practice to master; there are no apps, no memberships, and no costly celebrity-endorsed six-week courses needed.smileyheart

What!!surprise What are you telling me-JUST BREATHE!!! hmm

Just breathe

So, why choose breathing? Its so simple, not very sexy, a bit boring, and easy to get distracted from! So why focus on just the breath?As breathing is the foundation of life, so too is breathing meditation the foundation of all practices. When we can truly be mindful of our breath, great concentration will arise, and compassion and joy will be found in the present moment. But first we must enjoy breathing.

Our breath is constant and effortless, and we carry it with us wherever we go. With practice, it becomes a beautiful anchor that centers and grounds us. Sitting meditation is just the practice it is here we practice our concentration by being mindful of our breath, but we can, and should, meditate throughout our daily lives, in any situation. Your breath is always with you, always present and constant. So, whenever you desire, I invite you to go back to meet it.

On a bus, notice your breath. While walking down the street, notice your breath. During a conversation, while washing the dishes or brushing your teeth, and even when youre eating, notice your breath. Use your breath to bring you back to the present moment and let your mind-be-full of that which you are doing and empty of that which you are not.

Theres nothing to say that other ways to practice midfulness wont open up to you later on. Of course these will come if you want them to! But for now, try to focus on breathing alone....he benefits will be immensely gratifying.smileyheart

help satisfying breathe breathe in breathe out GIF

@awesomerainbow @adocker @adventurousfan @Ady23 @AutumnLeigh @amiablePeace77 @AMusicalSilence @astray @AnActiveListener @AjanMalic @adaptiveLight27 @aifos1976 @agreeablekite4304 @asilentobserver @alfalfasproutdeux @ambitiouschestnut9158 @ambitiouscity3124 @basty @blueocean @BillyWilson @babybenfin @behindhazeleyes @billywilson @BlueberryFriend @blueocean45 @borderinline @BuddhistDracula @blueDiamond @brilliomturtle89 @bluewolf1229 @benevolentOrange31 @callforhelp @char1otte @CrissiArabela @Claito @calmHero86 @courtmarievibes @compassion4you14 @DarkCoffee @diplomaticShade2167 @Deeperblue @enigmaforte @EnigmaForte @emilyLanes @EmunahHere @EastAfrique @Eccho@Evaparker02 @essdee Fairhouse @FreeSoul1417@fighter23 @Gaara @GhostInTheShellx @Gozzil @happydandan @helpfulHuman4993 @helping2findaway @Harleemoon @honeydinkley @Hereyzzil @hopeless104 @InvisibleAngel92 @Itsybitsyspider91 @inventiveOrange1 @joyoussun45 @kindsoul10 @kristenPLPCCRC @kirtokun0731@kevan @Kodachrome73 Joe2017 @JustLikeMellie @Jenna0903 @joyoussun47 @JenSee @KatMae @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn @kvo8 @KattPiper @Lionellinu13 @lia345 @Learntolive @LilaGrace @lightforlife @lilynoelle @LilyLila @lightofhope89 @Lovejoy @leothelittlelioncub1 @melliotm @Mikey123 @Musicismyfriend @NoDramaBabyLlama @nourrirvotreame @obie2 @oxfordshiregatsby @passionatepeyton @Pat @peacefulwarrior10 @penguinpower31 @peppermintlove @PiecesofYou @Pininin @PinkMallow @pizzalover1341 @politeAvocado7234 @politelychaotic @princessofcurcus @probius @psalm139 @PurpleSnowflake2310 @politeskies6536 @rachelq @resilience @rumplesteeleskin @rosesway @Rcusick12 @sailorelix @saif1for1 @Saltydog68 @ Samar27 @santysan @sensitiveShade5337 @silverWillow1625 @singblue @smileyPower @Softforesthsp77 @soulrestorer102 @soulsings @Spearstar @sujaypai @SunFern @SunFlower @sweetmango91 @summertimesamness @stillLavender24 @tazcares @tjb28 @tisjme @unicornbunny @victoriia @wildcat85 @Wawas @XxOgSpunBbygrl @yogibear10 @yzxil @zeraphim

RumpleSteeleSkin OP September 17th, 2017

@agreeableKite4304

ok Kite your back inheart

@agreeableKite4304

"Kite ur outta here" cheeky

@agreeableKite4304

Hiya sweet Kite and phewblushI agree with you, just doing 1 simple thing "focus on your breathing" can be hard to accomplish due to other things around us, our brain that never is quiet etc. But it can be done. Yes you said HOW! HOW! HOW!

the cycle of awareness

I can only suggest that yes just breathing can get sillified. To be gentlye with you over and over and over. Don't judge yourself but know "hey I am going to try this again" You can do thissmileyheart P.S. breathing is definately nice......

benevolentOrange31 September 17th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin I will definitely try to do that.

I wanted to ask something, does mindfulness also helps in getting calm when we're Angry? I have tried deep breathing when I get Angry but it doesn't seem to help much. I have anger issues and I'm introvert, I don't realise it, it just gets stored inside, which I know is a bad thing.

@benevolentOrange31

Hi there Orange wonderful to see yousmiley

Yes-mindfulness can decrease your intensity to being angry. When we are angry what happns to our body? It gets all tense and ready to fire. Our breathing yes is there, but at times it can be fast, or deep but labored. Our thoughts? What's going on with our thoughts?? They to are all over and intense.

I looked up some videos that might help you-take a look

Release Anger Meditation https://youtu.be/Ec6GYKxNMds

Mindfulness For Anger https://youtu.be/-JKzJRyX4Fk

Mindfulness Anger Management https://youtu.be/iMh3hlX8sZs

Anger Management https://youtu.be/BsVq5R_F6RA

Body Scan https://youtu.be/aIC-Io441v4

Maybe if these don't interest you can try something you enjoy that is physical. Good luckyes

@wizeakre

Hiya Wizsmiley I don't think it's a "fake illusion thing" or even a placebo thing. Getting full good rich oxygen in your body does really affect your whole body differently- rather then our breathing shallow and not enough. (I work with clients who run low oxygen levels at times) When we are mindful of our breathing we are in control of slowing it down and then our bodies physical sense is calmer. You are doing right. And if just doing the breathing part in mindfulness helps- well then you are doing something that works for you when you are not feeling all that wellsmiley

feelitinyourbones October 12th, 2019

@NoneTheWiser

Breathing really helps if done properly...I used it in my old times when I was free diving...it really helps to the point that you can clear your mind and your eyes go unfocused and hollow...nooe can talk to you, yoi get so blank... I am a smoker but in fact it is the deep movement of my diafragms that helps me calm down not necessarilly the nicotine...when I do not have cigarettes for lack of money I breath deep and it calmes me down. I thought its was not effective with age, yet here I am and yes breathing corectly helps...

September 17th, 2017

I am awesome:-):-)

1)I start by focusing on a single object. 2)Then I do the count down of my senses. 3)Then I focus on deep breaths.

@happydandan

Hiya Dansmiley Nice to see you!!

4) Go and grab Rumplez some cookiescheeky

September 17th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin Cookies for Rumple!!!!

@happydandan

spongebob squarepants eating hungry spongebob cookie GIF

soulsings September 18th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin for me the start is when I start seeing what I am aware of now. Then I am not reacting but noticing what is going on and maybe noticing how that affects me. Wherever we start, start right where we are now!

RumpleSteeleSkin OP September 18th, 2017

@soulsings

I really like what you said Souls. There really isn't a set place to start mindfulness. But a place where you feel comfysmiley

soulsings September 19th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin yes and when or where else can we start but from whatever place we are in.

fearlessWriter78 September 8th, 2019

@RumpleSteeleSkin I find it really easy to do mindfulness in the Growth Path. I'm already doing the growth path every day and it's easy to switch to doing mindfulness if you want. Plus there are so so many mindfulness exercises that the path offers. I love discovering new ones and like you said, even just doing short breathing meditation (which I do often!) is great to start and for me really beneficial.

RumpleSteeleSkin OP September 9th, 2019

@fearlessWriter78 hey there again tee-heecheekyGood to see you around the forums. Yes the mindfulness on the growth path is good. It gets you started into mindfulness. I'm smiling as you keep discovering more and more mindfulnessheart

lavenderpeach1107 October 12th, 2019

@RumpleSteeleSkin Great post on breathing! You have a simple and fantastic way of explaining it! I try to be mindful of my breathing througout the day and it really helps in situations of great anxiety and depression!

RumpleSteeleSkin OP October 12th, 2019

@lavenderpeach1107 I am smiling that this you can connect with. Keep up that breathing through the day. heart

lavenderpeach1107 October 12th, 2019

@RumpleSteeleSkin I can totally connect with it! You have a beautiful day!

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Very useful! Ty so much🤗

RumpleSteeleSkin OP October 12th, 2019

@feelitinyourbones

HI Bones good to see you heresmileyGood to hear this is useful for you. I am thinking of doing something similar to this thread as I am seeing how the community likes this one.

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Indeed, these are hands on useful stuff..no bs, just genuine working advice...it took a long while for me to learn about mindfulness and Soulsings helped me alot too...it is worth it...